Return to [ 31 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:12:31 -0700
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@roadrunner.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Install Help II

OK. Our story so far. Tried installing eCS 1.2 to K6-2/500 machine and
couldn't get it past IBM1FLPY.ADD. It hangs and I verified with a hard drive
that had eCS on it that it would hang on that driver even if it was not booting
from CD.

So, I moved on attempt to a different but similar style machine. We're talking
about another K6-2/500 machine which is exhibiting a strange anomaly. eCS
installs OK but I can't get the mouse to work, i.e. it stays in the middle of
the screen. Once, it actually moved a little bit then stopped so I suspected
IRQ conflict. I booted to a command line using the existing CONFIG.SYS and did
an RMVIEW and confirmed the curious fact that both serial controllers SERIAL_0
and SERIAL_1 were assigned to IRQ3 although they had different addresses (3F8
and 2F8) respectively. After that, no matter what I tried, I could not change
that fact. I modified CONFIG.SYS so that the comms ports were specifically
defined as in DEVICE=COM.SYS (1,3F8,3) (2,2F8,4) which matches the BIOS but
that didn't work. I specifically disabled the second COM device in the system
BIOS but RMVIEW still reported 2 SERIAL devices both using IRQ3.

Any ideas? Is there a way that I can force COM.SYS to assign only one port,
the one I need for my mouse to work? Thanks in advance.

-Rocky

Return to [ 31 | October | 2007 ]