Return to [ 05 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:14:50 -0700
From: Colin Campbell <cmcampb@roadrunner.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SeaMonkey Problem - Solved?

Content Type: text/plain

Several weeks ago, I asked about a problem I was having with SeaMonkey
and a certain Web site. I could open the Web page, which is a message
board, and look at a message or two or three, but quite soon, SeaMonkey
would terminate after some keystrokes from me (usually Alt <--, to exit
the current message).

I think the consensus of opinion was that I might be having trouble with
Plugins. Today, I finally started trying to experiment in order to
support this opinion, or shoot it down. I typed "about:plugins" in
SeaMonkey's address field, and printed the pages detailing what plug-ins
I had enabled. Shockwave Flash was first, so I simply opened an OS/2
Window, and renamed "npswf2.dll" to "off_npswf2.dll". Then I closed and
reopened SeaMonkey, and went to my troublesome Web site. I read
numerous posts, and replied to a couple, and SeaMonkey behaved!

I looked at "about:plugins" again, and the list started with WarpVision;
Flash was not there.

Finally, I tired of not having problems, so I renamed the Flash plug-in
back to the correct name. Flash was back at the top of the list in
"about:plugins". However, to my surprise, I still am not having
problems with SeaMonkey. I stopped and restarted the browser, then I
rebooted the machine and reopened SeaMonkey. All seems to be well, and
I'm perplexed, because I could make SeaMonkey die very consistently before.

Obviously, I'm going to have to keep my eye on the situation, but it
blows my mind that just looking into a problem could give the appearance
of solving it!

Return to [ 05 | October | 2007 ]