Return to [ 12 | September | 2007 ]

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:12:01 -0700
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: CD Rom Boot problem

Content Type: text/plain

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:41:16 -0700, Sandy Shapiro wrote:

>The motherboard uses the Realtek 8167 lan built in. That was not
>recognized by the install.
>
>What I would really like to do is find a way to get the built in Realtec
>8167 adapter to work. That is what I will report if the ecomstation web
>site ever opens up for reporting RC2 problems (that and the audio
>problem).

Hey Sandy,
I too have had problems using the network adapter built into various motherboards
(MB's). In my case the problem seems to be one of shared interrupts (IRQ's). Network
adapter drivers are often times intolerant of sharing an interrupt with another device. I've
experienced this on Windows computers, also, when I tried to install a second network
card (I had to change the expansion slot to get the card to work). Perhaps the same
thing is happening to you on your system.

You can use the following method to check for an interrupt sharing problem:

1. Connect your MB card to a good, working ethernet line (the other end of
the line must go to a good router or modem)

2. Turn on your computer and watch the lights on the MB card

3. Upon turn on the lights on card should indicate that the card has a
good, physical connection to the router or modem (typically a green light)

4. As your computer boots up, the various drivers will load onto the
system. When the driver for the MB card loads, the lights on the card should remain on.
If they turn off, you have a problem. Most likely it is a shared interrupt that the driver
does not like (it could also be that you've got the wrong driver, or that you've got a
setting on the driver that the card does not like)

Do do the above your must have your drivers installed for the MB card. That is, you
have to have used MPTS to install the card driver. If your system does not recognize
the existence of your card, check the computer BIOS to ensure that the card is engaged
(available for use through the BIOS). You may have to manually copy your drivers to
the proper place on your boot drive and then go to MPTS before you can get that
problem to install your drivers.

If you do the above test and the card lights turn off, I do not know what you can do to fix it.
HCM

Return to [ 12 | September | 2007 ]