Return to [ 21 | September | 2007 ]

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:36:39 -0700
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Printer problems

In <46F2E32B.5060607@verizon.net>, on 09/20/07
at 02:12 PM, Jizba said:

Hi,

> I had assumed that the list of printers displayed when
>trying to install a printer implied that the installation
>would generally produce good printing --that is if
>the installed printer software matched the actual
>printer connected to the PC.

This is true, but user's have vast capabilities when it comes to messing
up and otherwise working setup. Mess it up enoungh and eventually, you
will not be able to print reliably.

> I have checked the printer object several times, but
>I also find that there are several ways to do that. So
>I try to verify that all methods contain the same info.

There's only one way to check a printer object. If you have multiple
printer objects, then you have multiple objects to check. This is very
different and is mostly a symptom of you problem.

>> BTW, did you shred to printer object for the dead printer? Are you sure
>> it's really gone?

> I deleted the printer directory and followed by installing
>LQ570.

That's not the question I asked. I asked if you shredded the printer
object. If you really deleted the directory (i.e. \os2\dll\omni or
similar), that's was the wrong thing to do and may be contributing to your
problem.

Printer drivers and printer objects are related, but they are totally
different things with different install/uninstall rules.

If you don't know exactly what a directory contains, it's generally a bad
idea to delete it just because you think it might be related to something
you are trying to accomplish. Better to ask first unless you have lots of
time on your hands.

Grab a copy of prndrv from

http://www.os2site.com/sw/comm/faxworks/prndrv.exe

Use it to delete all the printer objects and the mess you made. Then run
checkin and make sure your WPS INIs are clean.

Finally, create a printer object for the LQ570. The easy way to do this
is drill down to \os2\dll\omni with the drives object and double click on
omni.drv. Find the LQ570 in the display printers and drag it to the
desktop. Fill in the port and such and you should have a working LQ570
printer object.

Steven

Return to [ 21 | September | 2007 ]