Return to [ 10 | December | 2002 ]

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:09:11 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: SC + LVM

Sandy wrote:

> If I put eCS on my main system, I would likely have to give up SC
> and rely on Boot Manager.

That is exactly what I did, after Tony rebuilt my system. I did so reluctantly, because I had
used SC for several years, really liked it, and still kind of miss it. However, I felt that
minimizing the complications on an already sufficiently complex multi-OS system would be in the
best interests of stability, and therefore a worthwhile tradeoff. I have learned to get by with a
scenario where BM (the current eCS version of it, which I think is advisable) mediates the various
OS/2 partition boot options *OR* passes the baton to the W2K boot loader, which chooses between
the real DOS or one of the W2K boot options. This is not as versatile as SC, but it gets the job
done and has been reliable.

> One advantage of SC is that I sometimes like to
> have two "C" partitions on the first drive, and SC will boot into either
> one and show the hidden one mapped under a different drive letter.

The SC I used was an older version, which did show whatever was Hidden or not, but it did not futz
with the drive lettering. I only have two hard drives in the system, so don't know the degree to
which that may be relevant. I do have an alternate C:, originally slated to house W98-Lite, but
presently still empty. Can't say yet whether this would readily go into my boot-time scheme, but
I believe that it would, once properly enabled.

> Also with SC, one has a choice of booting from a floppy without having to
> change the system BIOS.

I think I can do that now.

Steven added:

> Don't you have to tell SC when you have made changes to the
> drive/partition configuration?

Yeah, you need to update what SC knows about, whenever changes are made. Many of these (like when
you add an OS) should be autodetected, but sometimes you would need to make some adjustments
manually.

> Jordan and Ray should be able to comment
> on this.

Actually, I think Sheridan may have been the other SC user . . . .

> I don't use SC myself, but I understand how it works and
> probably own a copy. :-) IIRC, SC saves its configuration data in
> subdirectories of the SC directory on the first FAT partition.

My version did.

> I guess I may have to haul out the manual.

My ver. 3.x manual may not be too relevant here. From other comments I've seen, there may be some
important factors in going with SC-7, SC-2000, or whatever they called the last version. (That
may have some bearing on good coexistence with W2K or XP, as well -- to the extent one may care
about that.) However, I strongly doubt that V-Comm., the publisher of SC, ever lifted a finger in
the direction of making SC LVM-aware. Before giving up on the product, I dogged them about this,
and they were not particularly forthcoming. To get totally reliable coexistence, I think that SC
would have to be expressly designed to know about LVM, and to keep a hands-off policy for whatever
sectors the LVM identifier data gets written to. Given the things their product can do, I don't
believe that would pose any great technical challenge. They'd just have to care enough to bother.

> What you need to do is configure BM to boot eCS properly and then tell SC
> to update its settings to record the new setup.

I'd be curious to hear if that makes the difference.

> Maybe not. You just need to understand how they might interact. It's no
> different that using Partition Magic in an LVM environment. There are
> procedure that will allow you to recover the LVM data that PQ might
> clobber.

There definitely was an article in the VOICE newsletter about the latter, some time back.

Jordan

Return to [ 10 | December | 2002 ]