Return to [ 25 | December | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 06:34:32 PST8
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace@attglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com > ,
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Netting Win3.1 with OS/2

Here is an extract of notes on setting up WfW for Ethernet connectivity;
it will get you started. You still have to do the peer stuff.

HTH. Comments welcome

NETWORKING

I. PROTOCOL.INI
II. INSTALLING NETWORK CARDS IN OS/2
III. READMEs AND HELP FILES
IV. FINDING MAC ADDRESS IN OS/2 AND WINDOWS
V. SOURCE OF DRIVERS
VI. FIXING WINDOWS PROBLEMS IN INSTALLING NETWORK CARDS
VII. INSTALLING WARP NETWORKING MODULES
VIII. MR. PRAJARK'S INSTRUCTIONS
IX. RELEASE/RENEW LEASE IN WIN98
X. SECURING WINDOWS FOR BROADBAND CONNECTION
XI. CONFIGURING BROADBAND CONNECTIVITY IN OS/2 AND ECS
XII. ADJUSTING MTU TO ENABLE CONNECTIONS TO SOME WEBSITES
XIII. CONFIGURING INETCFG
XIV. CONFIGURING OS/2 NETWORKING ON WIN LAN
XV. FIREWALL
XVI. INSTALLING NETWORKING IN WIN3.11 (WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS)
XVII. DETECTING NETWORK CARDS IN OS/2
XVIII. DOMAIN NAME SERVICE (RESOLV FILES)

[EXTRACT]
XVI. INSTALLING NETWORKING IN WIN3.11 (WINDOWS FOR WORKGROUPS)

[Steps to set up Al's 755CD computer for networking August 12, 2002]

1-Install Windows 3.11 upgrade (Windows for Workgroups)

2-Run RAMSETUP to free up memory

3-Place TCPIP for Win3.11 on local hard drive

a. Create C:\TCPIP
b. Copy file TCP32B.EXE to this directory
c. Run TCP32B to unzip drivers and README.TXT

4-Rem from CONFIG.SYS the RAMBOOST and EMS386 lines (otherwise cannot
install PC Card driver with fixed memory location).

5-Install IBM Card and Socket Services from DOS 7
(If not installed, boot gives error "Initialization failure
Error loading device driver PCMDM.DOS
Error 7302: This device driver type is not supported by the
device loader. PCMDM.DOS was not loaded.)

a. Run \DOS\PCM\PCMINST.EXE [detects Ricoh RF5C266, RF5C366]
b. Goes to advanced setup, defaults to
IRQ 10
CIS Window Address DF00
Token Ring Speed (4/16) 4
Card settle time (ms) 660
c. Proceed to install, selecting IBM ethernet card
(Remark comes up before exiting, that comment has been
inserted in CONFIG.SYS advising memory to be reserved when
running EMM386.EXE; reserves DF00-DFFF; in fact RAMBOOST.EXE
later automatically excludes this).
d. Boot time message: Card services installed
e. Complete; free memory = 371k
f. Error message on boot: Error in CoNFIG.SYS line 39
[\DOS\PCM\PCMRMAN.SYS]. [In final version error is in line 44.]

6-Reconfigure memory

a. Reboot
b. At DOS prompt run RAMSETUP.EXE
(proceeds to install RAMBOOST.EXE and EMM386.EXE in AUTOEXEC.BAT)
(New working file has 484 k avail memory.)

7-Test:

a. Windows runs
b. Test network; from DOS run:

C:\>net start

NSC PCMCIA Ethernet Dual mode NDIS 2.0.1 Network Driver,
Version:1.9

PCMCIA LAN Adapter for Ethernet I/O ADDR: 0000h, IRQ 0.
Shared Memory Mode selected at Ram ADDR: 000000h.

The command completed successfully.

c. Save this CONFIG.SYS file as CONFIG.005.
d. Unexplained error in Line 44 of CONFIG.SYS [\DOS\PCM\PCMRMAN.SYS].
(Cannot rem this driver as causes Windows to crash with black
screen.)

8-Install networking features from Network Setup screen

a. Select Network Setup
b. Select MS Network
c. Select Add Adapter
d. Select unlisted adapter which selects Drive A
e. Insert Epson driver diskette
f. Select Add Protocol and point to C:\TCPIP
g. Select Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11b [NOTE: if select setup adapter all
values are 0--something wrong?]
h. Close all windows. System identifies
User Name: alanross
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Computer name: alanross
i. Setup calls for Win3.11 Disks 7 and 8
j. Setup calls for file PCMDM.DOS but complains it does not know
on which disk it resides. Found on Epson Ethernet PC Card
Installation Disk 08/14/96.
k. MS TCP/IP configuration screen appears.
Check [x] Enable Automatic DHCP Configuration
i. Setup advises: "Network Setup has modified your CONFIG.SYS,
AUTOEXEC.BAT and SYSTEM.INI files. The old versions have been
saved as CONFIG.000, AUTOEXEC.000 and SYSTEM.000." The first two
files are manually copied to \ROOTDOS and the third to \ROOTWIN.

NOTES

(1) ATT Navigator V 3 cannot connect via Ethernet, even though can
ping and go to WWW via Navigator V 4. (Per e:\ibmnet\netscape.ini,
change [Network] Use Async DNS=no does not overcome failure.)

I cannot get Nav 3 to work with the Ethernet connection. It gets
its configuration from E:\IBMNET\TRUMPWSK.INI, which is updated by
dialer
at connection time to configure.

Existing file (as configured by latest dial-in):

[Trumpet Winsock]
ip=32.101.141.109
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=32.97.115.114
dns=165.87.13.129

I reconfigured manually with proper settings for my router, as shown on
the router configuration screen:

[Trumpet Winsock]*
ip=192.168.254.11
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.254.254
dns=207.172.3.8 207.172.3.9

However it still does not work. Something else needs to be modified in
this file. If we can later figure it out, we can get this combo browser
and mail client to work with your DSL. If not, you have to use a
separate mail client for the DSL.

COMMENTS FROM MARK FISHMAN:

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:01:24 -0500
From: Mark Peter Fishman
To: "Dr. Jeffrey Race"
Subject: ATTGLOBAL.NET problem with Navigator 3

Hi, Dr. Race,

I infer from your note that your friend is still using MS-Win3.1, and that
"generic" copy of Netscape Navigator 4 works with the new network
connection,
although the ATT-supplied version of Navigator 3 does not.

Let me speculate: Win3.1, not having network software of its own, needs a
winsock.dll to supply this connection (also called a network protocol
stack). ATT's
Nav3, being intended for dialup, supplied its own winsock.dll, probably
stashed in
the program's own directory or subdirectory, that wanted to use a dialup
connection.
If your new NIC allows you to use other software, e.g., ping, telnet,
Nav4, then you
need to search the disk to find all copies of winsock.dll. If there is
more than
one, rename (do not delete -- you might need them if this doesn't work)
all but the
one in \Windows\System, and reboot.

It's possible this is all you will need to do.

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:01:02 -0500 From: Mark Peter Fishman
Subject: Re:
WordStar: ATTGLOBAL.NET problem with Navigator 3

I'll try: winsock (WINdows SOCKets) is the interface between applications
and
the network. On the application side, it provides a way to read and write
bytes from and to what looks to the app like a file; on the network side,
it
handles the protocols necessary to send and receive packets over the
network.

There are several variations of winsock.dll, all of which are supposed to
look
alike to the application, but each of which talks to a different kind of
network. One kind establishes a PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) or SLIP
(Serial
Line Internet Protocol) connection over an intermittent serial connection,
usually a dial-up telephone line and a modem. That's the kind your laptop
USED to use.

The kind you need uses a persistent connection over Ethernet (which is
hardware: your NIC); that *should* be the one in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

By renaming the winsock.dll file in the application's own directory, you
force the app to use the one supplied by the OS instead.

As an example, when I switched from using Compuserve's dialup connection
to having WinCIM use my existing network connection, I had to rename or
delete the winsock.dll supplied by Compuserve so that the OS's existing
network connection would be used instead -- that uses the winsock.dll that
is supplied with MS-Win95, in \Windows\system.

Cheers -- Mark F.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

> OK I'll try that when next I am at the machine (it went off in UPS this
> a.m.). But please explain the logic behind your proposal. Do you
> mean that WINSOCK.DLL contains some code telling Nav 3 where to look
> for something it needs? If so what?

Return to [ 25 | December | 2002 ]