Return to [ 08 | December | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:22:45 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Mozilla vs. Netscape 4.61

> I received your E-mail, previously and also this time. I did not
> comment, however, because I don't have nearly the same problems that you
> do with Netscape 4.61. I have some, however. Here are mine:

Hi Harry,

I'm afraid you must have mis-read my post: the problems I reported apply to **Mozilla
1.1**, regarding areas where its procedures differ from those of NS 4.61. The problems
I've had with NS 4.61 are rather different, but I'll list them below. In general, and with
one notable exception (a problem whose cause may lie elsewhere), if Mozilla followed the
practice of NS 4.61 re cache behavior and print jobs, I'd be quite happy with it.

> 1. It often freezes somewhere in the middle of going to a website.
> Sometimes, I can use CAD Commander to shut it down. Sometimes I have to
> do a complete reboot.

I hope I'm not mis-paraphrasing Steven here, but I think he has said that the "chokes while
attempting to load a site" situation has to do with changes to HTML | XML | Javascript
etc., that the later browser is much better able to digest. One of the big advantages I
found with CAD Cmdr. over Process Cmdr. has been its ability to extricate me from most of
the NS hangs that were formerly a problem. I don't think I've yet seen any hangs of that
sort with Mozilla . . . but then my relative degree of use of the two browsers has not been
at all comparable, so this is hard to say with any assurance.

> 2. Netscape hogs most of the CPU. However, I can print from it very
> well. It prints pretty fast and frees up the printer spooler fast. I can
> also open a second version of Netscape with little problem

The very high CPU utilization with NS 4.61 happens here only on a minority of sites. I
think it has something to do with how that site happens to be coded, but don't really
know. However, I do find that opening another NS window will remove any option to print --
the menu for it is not even accessible. Print jobs also do not relinquish any other use of
the system while in progress. I think this is either a spooler setting issue, or more
evidence of some wider problem in the status of the Warp-4 partition on my system. This is
the exception referred to above. But for that, I'm more pleased, day to day, with my
continued use of NS 4.61 than I am so far with Mozilla.

It is too soon to say whether thse issues occur under the eCS / Mozilla combo, but early
indications are that maybe not.

> 3. The Netscape hogging problem is most apparent when I close off
> Netscape. While it's closing down, I cannot click on anything else. If I
> do, no response.

Ideally, you should be using one of the last two drops of NS 4.61. Many things were
problematic, prior to those. But I think something else besides NS may be going wrong,
based on your description.

> It might be useful to note that I access Netscape (for Internet
> browsing) via a REXX script. The script first calls my Internet dialer
> through the IBM dialer program. Then it loads the TimeKeeper/2 program
> so that I can update my system clock via time servers on the Internet.
> Finally, it calls Netscape. The script then cycles every 5 seconds and
> checks on the status of Netscape. If Netscape is still open, it cycles
> through another 5 seconds. If I have closed Netscape, the script closes
> down the dialer and TimeKeeper/2

> I'm telling you all of this, because perhaps this arrangement of using
> Netscape avoids/sidesteps some of the problems you've been experiencing.
> It's just a thought.

Quite to the contrary, Harry -- I think you are introducing extra variables & complications
that only serve to muddy the waters, diagnostically speaking. Also, I'm not using Dial-Up
service, so the situations are even less comparable.

If there is no real comment on the original post, I guess I really will have to take it to
some Mozilla discussion forum.

Thanks anyway.

Jordan

Return to [ 08 | December | 2002 ]