Return to [ 09 | December | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:41:25 PST7
From: sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro)
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: PCMCIA Lan Card

I thought I would try another 3Com 589 card just in case I had a bad one
(they are pretty cheap used), but it is exactly the same problem:

Under Win 2000 it works perfectly.
Under OS/2, the card director says "Ready" but cannot ping or access
internet.

I put my LinkSys back in, bent dongle and all, and it works perfectly.

The only difference I notice is that Linksys boots up on IRQ 9, and 3Com
boots up on IRQ 11.

At this point I think I may be better off putting my money in a new dongle
and donating the two 3Com cards to the next SCOUG raffle next time I come
up.

Sandy

>In <0H6000A9MP3ZTM@mta6.snfc21.pbi.net>, on 11/22/02
> at 11:07 PM, sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro) said:

>>> elpc3 .os2 30,237 .... 10-27-96 19:42:32
>>That is exactly what I have.

>Is that the one you are loading via config.sys?

>>> elpc3os2 .nif 1,615 .... 10-27-96 13:11:00
>>That reads 1,634 .... 8-27-98

>>>Read the .nif to figure out the description that will display.

>>3COM Megahertz 10 mbps PC Card OS/2

>That might be OK. Mine says:

> 3Com EtherLink III PC Card OS/2

>>IIRC my Thinkpad 600E is slower than that.

>You probably should apply the 3netlog.exe patch so that you can use it to
>retrieven the NIC's internal log messages.

>>>You will know the card works when it shows up correctly in the Card
>>>Director status displays.

>>Card Director shows:
>>CARD -- LAN
>>Status -- Ready

>>(irq = 11).

>What other resources display when you click on the icon for the NIC?

>That should be OK, as long as nothing else is using IRQ 11.

>>The green LED on the card does illuminate under Windows. And under
>>Windows is runs under IRQ 7.

>The IRQ will change. It should not matter.

>>Is there a way I can force the IRQ from 11 to 7 just to see? Anything
>>else I can try?

>Not really.

>>The green LED on the hub is lit, but I have no access to the internet,
>>nor does DHCP start work.

>Does the LED on the hub blink if you try a ping?

>It might be time for a review of the usual suspects: setup.cmd,
>langtran.log, protocol.in and config.sys.

>Steven

Return to [ 09 | December | 2002 ]