Return to [ 03 | January | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:45:57 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: NS 4.61 Mail Corruption

In <3C350F3F.1FFF03EE@pacbell.net>, on 01/03/02
at 06:10 PM, "J. R. Fox" said:

>browsing, mail, and (rarely) news all from the same place, with a central
>interface. Ever since I upgraded to the 8/19/2000 or 7/29/2K build (both
>dates are mentioned at the end of
>NETSCAPE.EXE), back when it came out, the worst problems that I used to
>experience went away. But I gotta tell ya, this is by far still the
>buggiest item in OS/2-dom, the one thing I can regularly count on to
>crash. Let me count the ways.

Makes sense. You are using a version that over a year old, so it's got to
be missing many fixes. IBM has not been enhancing Netscape, so the only
reason for updates is fixes.

That said, as long as you are satisfied with what you have, you should
stay with it. The nice thing about OS/2 is you get to make your own
choices.

>circuitous methods, _outside_ of NS. NS does not seem to provide any
>tool for repairing or regenerating this index file. I know it was
>corrupted, because the index file could not be copied to another
>location; attempts to do so yielded a "File Not Found." By

That's not the way it works here. If you delete the index file (i.e. the
.snm), Netscape rebuilds it.

>2) Saving a larger HTML file -- say, over 100K -- _in .TXT

It don't do this very often, but I do have a few over 100K that were saved
this way.

>Are we still talking about huge memory leaks here ? Clearly something is
>seriously not right with this program !

The version I run has a shared memory DDE, but for basic browsing, it will
stay up for days on end.

Steven

Return to [ 03 | January | 2002 ]