Return to [ 05 | January | 2002 ]

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:29:29 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: NS problems

Jordan,

The problems that I described were "mostly" experienced on older
versions of Netscape. The newer version that I have now is relatively
stable and I'm fairly pleased with it. Occassionally, I lose my
bookmarks and that's about all. Nevertheless, because of problems in the
past, I still have those scripts ready to go and use. As a safety
precaution I use them regularly to backup the preferences, address book
and mail Netscape components, JUST IN CASE!!

I am now using the 05 July 2001 Netscape 4.61 refresh from IBM. I think
it's the latest one of that version. Gary Wong discussed it in his
August 2001 "Download" column. You should probably upgrade to that
version. You might get a more stable result.

Incidently, yesterday I was reviewing some documentation in the
ConfigTool database. It concerns the LIBPATH statement in the CONFIG.SYS
file and its effect on Netscape. Below, please find the complete
documentation from the database. Perhaps the part about Netscape will be
useful for you!
HCM

Tells OS/2 where to locate Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs)=B7 =

LIBPATH is similar to DPATH and PATH, but the statement can only be used
in the config=B7sys file and OS/2 does not search the current directory
for DLLs unless you include it in the LIBPATH statement=B7 You don't need=

to use the SET command with LIBPATH=B7 It is not an environment variable=B7=
=

=

<<=3DTIP=3D>> To reduce the search time, be sure that the various PATH
statements contain the correct path to your program and other files=B7 Yo=
can also have OS/2 search the current directory by including =

a period "=B7" right after the equal "=3D" symbol (LIBPATH=3D=B7;C:\=B7=B7=
=B7=B7)=B7 This
causes OS/2 to look in the current logged directory first=B7 =

=

One final item that will reduce search time: Be certain that the PATH,
LIBPATH and DPATH statements in the config=B7sys are arranged with the
most frequently accessed sub directories listed first=B7 =

=

<<=3DTIP=3D>> Problems can arise with duplicate filenames on the system=B7=

Sometimes you will have 2 DLL's with the same file name but for
different applications, which may cause programs to misbehave=B7 Check th=
ordering of directories in LIBPATH, use "=B7:" and enter the path in
working directories for the application properties=B7 =

=

<<=3DTIP=3D>> Don't forget that autoexec=B7bat has a PATH too=B7 =

=

<<=3DTIP=3D>> With Warp, IBM has introduced the ability to dynamically
change LIBPATH using two new environment variables: BEGINLIBPATH and
ENDLIBPATH=B7 These commands are most useful in CMD or BATCH files, but
can be used in your config=B7sys=B7 Any directories that appear in the
BEGINLIBPATH variable are searched before directories in LIBPATH, and
directories that appear in the ENDLIBPATH variable are searched after
those in LIBPATH=B7 The correct syntax is SET BEGINLIBPATH=3DC:\OS2=B7 =

=

<<=3DNETSCAPE TIP=3D>> Netscape must be in the first place of the Libpath=
=B7
This means also before the above mentioned period "=B7"=B7 If you use
Staroffice 4=B70 check if that's correct, if not move the Staroffice Path=

behind Netscape and install Servicepak 2 for Staroffice or higher
otherwise the Staroffice Browser wont function=B7 =

______________________

"J. R. Fox" wrote:
> =

=3D=3D=3D=3D
> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
=3D=3D=3D=3D
> =

> Harry Motin wrote:
> =

> > Here are the problems I've experienced on all versions of
> > Netscape:
> > 1. My bookmarks disappear.
> > 2. My address book gets corrupted.
> =

> Have never seen this myself, Harry. How big are your bookmark
> files and address book ? I have a number of bookmark files.
> Probably there is some way to shuttle amongst them in NS, but
> for me they tend to be temporary repositories, since I wind up
> feeding all the contents into the Web Organizer database, which
> constitutes my "Home" page. The latter is a great program,
> too bad it ceased development. There are a number of
> improvements that it would certainly have benefited from
> =

> > 3. My mail gets corrupted.
> =

> Can't tell from your comments if this was the same sort of mail
> corruption I've been experiencing.
> =

> > In summary: Update your Netscape.
> =

> Are you using the 6/01 build ? They haven't done a particularly
> good job of differentiating releases.
> =

> I would like to think that Mozilla/Warpzilla/IBM-zilla won't
> suffer from these problems. Of course, they must have their own
> set of bugs.
> =

> Jordan
> =

=3D=3D=3D=3D
> =

> To unsubscribe from this list, send an email message
> to "steward@scoug.com". In the body of the message,
> put the command "unsubscribe scoug-help".
> =

> For problems, contact the list owner at
> "rollin@scoug.com".
> =