Return to [ 03 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:35:33 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Basic Help

Butch,

I've been keeping up with your email communication and mostly with
Steven Levine's responses to you. I am a little confused, however. In
your last email, just prior to this one, you indicated that you got past
FDISK and installed OS/2. You stated that several pieces of hardware did
not work properly, because you did not have the correct drivers. Now,
however, in this email from you seem to indicate that your are going to
redo your OS/2 installation. Is that right????

If you did not create your Boot Manager and/or C: partitions exactly the
way you wanted (assuming you created a Boot Manager), you probably will
have to start again and reinstall the OS. However, if it is simply that
you did not create partitions after C: to your satisfaction, you
probably will not have to start over with a new install. That is
especially true, if there are no files, or only a few files, on those
partitions. If you have only a few (or no) files on those other
partitions, move them over to C: temporarily. Then, you can use FDISK to
delete those partitions and recreate them to your liking. It's a little
dicey, but since you just started, you don't have a big investment, if
any thing goes wrong and you inadvertently destroy C:

After getting those other partitions the way you want, format them as
HPFS. Go to an OS/2 command prompt on your up and installed system. Type
as follows to format the D: partition, for example, as HPFS:

FORMAT D: /FS:HPFS

Next, you can correct your hardware and driver issues, getting the
correct and updated drivers, as Steven indicated. You can do all of this
on your all up, presently installed, OS/2. You do not have to reinstall.
In fact correcting the drivers this way is probably way easier than
reinstalling from scratch.

But now, assume that you do want to reinstall, because you did not
partition the Boot Manager and/or C: to your liking, or because you
wanted to format C: as HPFS, but didn't do it. OK! If so, go back and
reinstall the OS, but only because of that. Based on your previous
email, you indicated that you got through the installation, it booted
up, but that you got a few error messages about drivers that were wrong
and did not load. If so, you are in gooooooood shape. I believe it would
be easier for you to correct those problems from an up and running
installed OS, rather than try to put the correct drivers on Diskettes 1
and/or 2 and changing the CONFIG.SYS file. Therefore, I would:

1. Get all the correct drivers, as indicated by Steven and from the
sources he gave you. Print out all the documentation, readme files, etc.

2. Use the 3 installation diskettes to boot to the installation screen

3. Select Advanced installation

4. Use FDISK to partition your hard drive the way that you want:
A. Create Boot Manager; Make it startable

B. Create C: partition, <= 8GB. Make it installable and then select
"Add to Boot Manager Menu" (that will make it also "Bootable")

C. Create another desired partitions after C:

5. Save this set of FDISK selections, exit from FDISK and reboot, using
the 3 diskettes.

6. Now under the "Advanced Installation" selection you are going to
skip partitioning your disk. That is, you are going to accept the
partitions that you just set up

7. Now, next under the "Advance Installation" you are going to select
HPFS formatting of all your partitions. This is where you do that.

8. Finally, you proceed through the rest of the installation

9. Because you do not have the correct video driver, I recommend that
you install using VGA. You will get an ugly screen, but your video will
work without problems. Also, when you install the SciTech driver, you
will have to do it from VGA. I looked up the ReadMe.txt file that comes
with the SciTech drivers. The Scitech driver supports 3dfx Voodoo
Banshee.

10. After you get your system up and installed, the first thing I would
do is correct the video by installing the SciTech driver. Then, I would
one by one install the other drivers, until you get a full working
system

HCM

Butch Langel wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> I feel I can now get thru FDISK and into installing Warp 4. I did have some
> problems, I think, because I never got the chance to format any partititons
> except the partition os/2 was going on. I set up the hard drive with 3
> logical partitions after the os/2 partition. Never in the trial
> installation was a chance given to format those partitions with hpfs.
> Perhaps I went too fast or just didn't read something carefully.
>
> At any rate, I believe I realize what I must do to get my hardware to
> install correctly. Here is what I have:
> Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ 8460 B PCI Lan Adapter
> Sound Blaster Live Value
> 3DFX Interactive Voodoo3
> Cd Rom by Liteon LTN 483
> Plextor CD-R PX W1610A
> Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410 monitor
> Epson Stylus Color 740 (usb)
>
> As I understand it, I must find appropriate os/2 drivers and install them on
> installation disks 1 and 2. Also, I must go into the sys.conf folder and
> edit various lines. The editing information will be provided where I find
> the drivers?
> Where will be the best places to locate drivers for above items?
>
> Thanks for your continued support,
>
> Butch Langel

Return to [ 03 | July | 2002 ]