Return to [ 06 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 23:03:39 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: BootOS2 / partially success

Hi Steven
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Your answer really confuses me with listed files from 96 !?
How and why these old files and why shall I use the very old
CD-ROM ???

Sorry for my intervention but this is inbelievable !!!

OK, my positve experience with the simple BootOS2 installation:

I started like following:
Bootos2 target=D

... was aked to format the destination
... and answered H for HPFS
... after formatting I was asked for the Installation Disk 0
... and little later for Diskette 1 ...
... and I saw files transferred from my accurate C: drive !

Finish & Reboot with this just created BootOS2 Partition !

Well, this Disaster partition works and I can do my maintenence
;-)

I do understand that this simple level has no PM / WPS nor
anything else !

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxx

My second and further tries with following parms were not
successfull:

Bootos2 target=D type=PM resp type=WPS help etc.

The first trap showed somewhat PMDD ...
... later experiments with your suggested GA400 ended with
missing newviews not finding ....

I gave up since I am able to use my simple Disaster system ...
... and I am not keen to run into system troubles on my present
system.

Soon I may have an experimental system identically to the already
existing one and then I will do more tries !?

Anyway, these tests were not bad because I learned that with FP16
and
also MCP 4.52 it is possible to get Bootos2 (simple only) working
;-)
Ready for emergencies.

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend !
svobi

steve53@earthlink.net on 05.07.2002 17.36.44
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

In <1025883581-0-Info@SYNass.NET>, on 07/05/02
at 01:40 AM, "Info2SYNass.NET" said:

>Installing BootOS2 (9.26) just with the parm "Target=x" does
create a
>working partition
>but all experiments with parms "PM resp. WPS" never succeeded
;-((

>Any hints or suggestions ?

Yes, a couple...

First, tell us how BOOTOS2 failed. Did BOOTOS2 issue an error
message or
did the boot hang/fail with/without an error message.

Second, make sure you have made correct versions of the
prerequisite files
avialble to BOOTOS2. These include:

CONFIG .SYS 629 r... 8-14-96 2:55:26
SYSLEVEL .OS2 165 r... 8-12-96 1:30:44
VTBL850 .DCP 10,478 r... 8-09-96 1:00:16
KEYBOARD .DCP 28,097 r... 8-09-96 0:58:56
SYSINSTX .COM 39,472 r... 8-09-96 0:33:54

BOOTOS2 will find them on the Warp4 CD, but I find it more
convenient to
keep these on the hard drive and use the source parameter. A
typical
command line from my generic scripts is:

bootos2 source=%S target=%D format:none ga400 rexx

where S and D are set to the appropriate values by the script.

I use BOOTOS2 somewhat differently from other folks. In my case,
almost
any available bootable partition gets a BOOTOS2 setup. Mine are
always
command line, so this requires about 3MB of so of drive space.
This is
nothing given today's drive sizes.

Steven

---