Return to [ 15 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:45:36 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: some strange things going on

Steven replied to me:

> >functionality. I was monitoring some Ebay auction prices. NS 4.61 (the
> >last build) glommed onto a few of these -- all associated with the same
> >seller -- and each time locked up, requiring me to kill the session.
>
> Well, 4.61 is hardly complaint with today's standards. Tables are slow to
> render in 4.61,

Does that mean we need to abandon using it ? I seem to recall there being some club members who champion
the continued use of 2.02 . . . at least for some specific purposes.

> but more likely this is a plugin issue. Do you have flash
> installed?

Yes. Latest version. Is there some way to turn it off briefly, then back on again, if this is a problem ?

> You might also want to empty the history list and the cache in
> case they are corrupted.

Did that. I haven't had the freezes or crash recur recently, but haven't been loading the offending Ebay
pages since then either. I guess a lot of them use tables ? I did visit one site since, recommended on
another list, that yielded similarly bad results with 4.61. The "Cool Quotes Collection" at:

http://www.sleepwalker.net/quotes/

I'm not sure if that's their new URL, or the old one with redirection. Anyway, it was repeatedly fatal to
4.61 here, and I haven't gone back. If I'm right, this might be one for Dave Watson's proposed "bad site"
list.

> >Also, and perhaps more ominously, this situation seems to have generated
> >a TCPOEX.LOG file with contents like the following:
>
> Are you sure this hasn't been around for a long time. TCPCOEX only has
> work to do the first time you reboot after upgrading to the merged MPTS.
> The listed files should not even exist. They now live in \mptn\bin.

Interesting. I'm not sure that file wasn't there before -- there was no reason for me to be aware of it.
But I find it curious that the file had the same date as the worst of the crashes, the one that led me to at
first think some files might have gotten wiped out. (I *definitely* did not apply any type of service that
day !) The only reason I noticied that logfile was that right after an incident like this, I routinely run
a file/date screen against the partition, to check out anything that wasn't there yesterday. If I find some
odd 20+ meg. file, say in a cache area, I know why my disk space for that partition suddenly dipped.
Anyway, I'm glad no harm seems to have been done.

> The correct versions should be in \mptn\bin.

And indeed they are. So I guess it's a mystery.

> >Startup Folder group, rather than directly in the relevant line in
> >Config.Sys. In ECS, it looks like I don't have a choice, because the WC
> >resists being shadow-ed into the Startup folder. If I boot with just the
>
> Humm. Should work. How does it resist?

The WarpCenter object just won't go or shadow there. It vanishes as soon as I drag it to the Startup
folder.

> >LP, and then manually invoke the WC, my system clock suddenly jumps ahead
> >by 3 hours ! Now I've lost time before when a battery was starting to
>
> Bad batteries don't generate reproducible failures.

The current battery tested max. green just before I put it in. Just out of curiosity, I finally had the old
battery (a suspect, back when I was having the CMOS / Resource problems) tested. It's kaput. I think some
other stuff was going on then, but the old battery being on its last legs couldn't have helped.

> You probably have the wrong TZ setting in config.sys.

Bingo. I thought I set it right somewhere else, but I'll straighten that out in Config.Sys.

Jordan

Return to [ 15 | July | 2002 ]