Return to [ 07 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 16:31:08 PST7
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: electronic printer switches

** Reply to message from jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net on Sun, 7 Jul 2002
01:29:47 PST7

> In , on 07/04/2002
> at 11:47 PM, "Steven Levine" said:
>
> >In
> ><20020704210636.ELLQ20423.mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net@mailhost.worldnet.att.net>,
> >on 07/04/02
> > at 01:06 PM, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net said:
>

> Steven,
>
> Let me get back to basics.
>
> I am looking for a second printer because I can't make my Lexmark 5700
> print envelopes from WordPerfect for DOS 6.0 and it is awfully slow to
> print from Windows apps in Win-OS2. The 5700 prints everything from Word
> Perfect except envelopes and everything my DOS version of Quattro Pro
> outputs because it emulates the HP500 monochrome and color printers and
> both programs have drivers for both printers. My envelope printing
> problem exists because, to the best of my knowledge, the HP500 fed
> envelopes long dimension as WP assumes it will be done and the 5700 feeds
> then end first.

First off, are you sure this isn't changeable? WordPerfect is extremely
flexible and should be able to handle it either way. I used to do envelopes on
a DeskJet 682C that took envelopes end first and WP had no trouble with that.
Look at the paper type definition (envelope, in this case) and make sure the
orientation is right for the print driver you are using (is it 5700 specific?).
There has never been anything that I couldn't get WP to do so I'd be very
surprised if you couldn't fix this as a generic problem.

> I had the Windows apps problem licked because my second printer, an 8 or
> 10 year old dot matrix Panasonic KXP 1124 which gave out, printed Windows
> apps speedily. There were also drivers for it, or the Epson LP2500 which
> it emulated, in both DOS programs and no envelope printing problems
> because the printer took envelopes long dimension. The 5700 and the
> KXP1124 were on a mechanical switch box which apparently handled bidi
> communications--the level of ink in the 5700 cartridges went down.

Just as an aside, I can sell you a replacement if you want. My old one worked
well when I last used it and it is currently just taking up space. It was a
great printer for its time. Even got the cut-sheet feeder for it. Let me know
and I'll dust it off and test it.

[...snip...]

> When Tony Butka praised the new Lexmark E210 so highly and I could get one
> for 1/3 off, I bought it figuring that the IBM Generic Postscript driver
> or the new Laserjet Driver would print output from some driver in each DOS
> program. But I have not been able to print envelopes fed end first into
> the 5700 or the E210 with the Generic Postscript driver.

I think Tony had a printer driver update to this. It is not, in fact, a
Postscript printer but there are OS/2 drivers for them somewhere. Check his
column with his mea culpa. I don't remember but I think it works with PCL-type
drivers.

[...snip...]

> Google found the latest, or the German OS2.org site says they are the
> latest, OS/2 laserjet and postscript drivers a few hours ago and I
> downloaded them. I am going to install them and see if I can make an
> envelope created in WordPerfect print when loaded end first on the 5700
> and the E210 (both of which are Win printers). I tried that last week,
> using the installation version of the Generic Postscript driver, on the
> 5700 without success.

Unfortunately, I don't think the 5700 is Postscript, although the almost
identical Optra 40 is. Nonetheless, the Lexmark drivers for OS/2 should work,
no? Lexmark is pretty good about OS/2 drivers - try them.

[...snip...]

> Assuming it is necessary to use two printers, I am pretty sure I don't
> want to network them. If I understand "Warp Unleashed" correctly, a
> network requires a local and a network printer object for each printer and
> their drivers must be matched. I have enough trouble configuring two
> local printers and think four would be a pain.

This is not as hard as you make it sound. If you were starting from scratch,
this is not much more difficult than adding a physically attached printer, i.e.
create a printer object and define the driver associated with it. If the
printer is only connected to the network (i.e. via a printer server), then you
only need one object per printer: two printer=two objects. The only tricky
part for network printers is getting the network definition set right. However,
there has been quite a bit of discussion on this e-mail list concerning it - I'm
sure there's a number of experts to help out on this. If you want peer type
printing (i.e. print to another machine's physically attached printer), then you
need an additional object for each instance that you want to do this - again no
more difficult than the one object per printer set up. I think just about
anyone can handle it.

> I will try my mechanical switch box next. If that creates problems, I
> would like to use two physical parallel ports. Faxworks throws a printer
> on LPT3 and if I understand "Warp Unleashed", a scanner does not use one
> of the usual parallel ports.

Forget scanning on the parallel port under OS/2. That dog won't hunt.

> Gee, I see it is 5 a.m. and I started out yesterday early for me so I
> could mow my postage stamp back long before the temperature got to 95 and
> the heat index to well over 100. Maybe I'll have breakfast before I go to
> bed.

Good luck.

> Jack

-Rocky