Return to [ 07 | July | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 17:07:59 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: some strange things going on

1) The following occurred the other day in my W4 / FP-9 partition,
which is going to remain the Production partition for as long as it
takes me to get the new ECS partition to the same level of
functionality. I was monitoring some Ebay auction prices. NS 4.61
(the last build) glommed onto a few of these -- all associated with
the same seller -- and each time locked up, requiring me to kill the
session. During a lockup, I noted that the free disk space counter in
the Warp Center was going backwards, dropping like a stone. That's
kind of alarming on its own. I found that this condition was
evidently due to Swapper.Dat suddenly ballooning. Now, please take
note: my Swapper file has *almost never* grown beyond its 2 meg. size,
not when I had 256M. of Ram in the system, and for sure not now when I
have twice that amount.

I suspect this condition is reproduceable, and you may well find the
same result if I post a couple of the URLs here. If so, what could
someone have in their web page that can cause this ?

Also, and perhaps more ominously, this situation seems to have
generated a TCPOEX.LOG file with contents like the following:

Current directory is tcpip 3.0 directory, update files
Current directory is not mpts directory, delete dup files
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\inet.sys
File E:\MPTN\protocol\ifndisnl.sys not found in mpts directory,
E:\TCPIP\bin\ifndisnl.sys not deleted.
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\cntrl.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\arp.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\host.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\hostname.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\ifconfig.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\inetcfg.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\inetdbg.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\inetver.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\ipformat.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\iptrace.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\netstat.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\ping.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\bin\route.exe
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\dll\tcpipdll.dll
FORCEDELETE: Delete E:\TCPIP\dll\tcp32dll.dll

When I first saw this, I thought something had zapped a bunch of
important files on my system, but they appear to still be there, so
I'm guessing that is the wrong interpretation.

2) In my Warp 4 partition, I've long had the LaunchPad peacefully
coexisting with the Warp Center, and I wanted to have the same thing
in ECS. I like and use them both. In W4 -- at least at my kernel
level -- things are more stable with the WC being brought up as part
of the Startup Folder group, rather than directly in the relevant line
in Config.Sys. In ECS, it looks like I don't have a choice, because
the WC resists being shadow-ed into the Startup folder. If I boot
with just the LP, and then manually invoke the WC, my system clock
suddenly jumps ahead by 3 hours ! Now I've lost time before when a
battery was starting to go, but I don't recall anything that caused a
sudden, significant time gain. Does ECS have some problem with WC &
LP being active at the same time ?

Jordan

Return to [ 07 | July | 2002 ]