Return to [ 13 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:42:57 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: EarthLink

Peter wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why do you send email through the Earthlink
> dial-up server instead of through the PacBell DSL server?

You must have misunderstood me, or perhaps I was unclear. I rarely use the
dial-up at all, except if the DSL goes down, or there is some troubleshooting
type of reason to do so. (e.g., if the DSL has suddenly slowed to a crawl, but
the dial-up is running normally, it is a strong indication that the Pac Bell
recorded message on the status of their DSL network claiming that nothing
bad is going on is -- as usual -- not at all current, or a plain 'ol fib.)

To the best of my understanding, if one has DSL from Pac Bell, one is forced
to use it to connect to *anything* in a broadband sorta way. Once you get out
on the DSL freeway, though, you can route your mail through different Mail
Servers. I have three ISPs -- the third is included with my subscription to
Compuserve, which I've had for many years -- although I really only use
two of them. Different Communicator profiles have governed which account
I'm connected with at a given time. I also have profiles that are explicitly for
dial-up service, though these are seldom used.

> > MR2/Ice or Polarbar ... which of these will work with JunkSpy.
>
> Junk Spy works great with both of them.

Thanks. That's good to know. Either of those may be a good choice then.
So much the better if they are capable of accessing multiple mail accounts,
without having to quit the program and re-invoke it (coming back in under
a different profile), as I've always had to do with the NS email client.

Jordan

Return to [ 13 | May | 2002 ]