Return to [ 16 | May | 2002 ]

Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 04:29:33 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: IRQ Wars

Just as a curiousity, can you initialize and use the modem with anything
else? For example, using your Internet browser, the IBM dialer and the
linkup.exe program, can you get your modem to work?

Also, another curiousity: I have Incharge. Exactly how do you use
Incharge with a modem? What does it do? How does it hook up to your
modem? I bet the answers are in the Incharge online documentation, right
(which I have not read through)?

HCMotin

"Benedict G. Archer" wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.

> > Steven replied:
> >
> > > As stated often here and elsewhere, this is normal for NIC's. Just write
> > > down the IRQ reported in the BIOS scan. If you really must see the port
> > > and irq, any of the available PCI scanners (pci044vk.zip, Hobbes) will
> > > give you a nice report.
> >
> > . . .
> >
> > > Which is expected since you have no ISA slots. Some BIOS's have more
> > > options to control the routing of PCI IRQ's (A-D) to ISA IRQ's (0-15) than
> > > yours appears to have.
> >
> > Has Mr. KIA previously authored any mini-treatise on troubleshooting IRQ
> > issues ? It would surely be worth another visit to the article archives, if he
> > had. I'm also curious as to why some devices might not show up in H/W Mgr.
> >
> > > You might try swapping the load order of the drivers that are using irq
> > > 11. One of the drivers is clearly not playing nice when it comes to
> > > swapping.
> >
> > I would also like to find a good, concise guide to load order issues within
> > Config.Sys, as I think this is responsible for some unresolved anomalies.
> > I will give ConfigTool (or whatever the later iteration is called) another
> > look, in hopes the topic might be dealt with there.
> >
> > Jordan
> >
> I've made some progress, but haven't got a working system yet. I
> acquired this system last October, and just want to get a stable
> configuration so I can begin using it. I now have the full SIO2k
> package. Thanks to someone's suggestion (Harry's, I think) I can enable
> HW detection. The DOS utility PMDMCFG now shows that the Actiontec
> modem wants IRQ 5 which should be available and IO 1800, but neither
> InCharge nor Halite will initialize the modem at any com setting. Before
> installing SIO2k the system hung while disconnecting after a CheckFree
> transmission from InCharge. That left InCharge unusable as it didn't
> think the transmission had been sent, but wouldn't let it be resent.
> Bruce Landeck (Spitfire) solved that one for me. The SIO2k drivers are
> last in config.sys. Before I had SIO2k, I experimented with putting
> various com.sys lines earlier in config.sys. I expect, studying the
> SIO2k docs, that I could get things to work now with a SIO2k.cfg file (I
> have been reading the documentation), but I feel defeated. My plan now
> is to get an external modem. I'll also get rid of the PCI SCSI adpator
> card by getting SCSI cable converters (internal to external and 68 pin
> to 50 pin) so I can use the second onboard SCSI adaptor for the CDrom,
> CD writer, tape drive and scanner (the first onboard SCSI adaptor is
> dedicated to the HD). The MB has jumpers to disable the onboard SCSIs,
> but it's either both or none, and same for the two onboard NICS. Steven
> had suggested disabling one of the onboard SCSI adaptors and the second
> [...]

Return to [ 16 | May | 2002 ]