Return to [ 08 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:59:39 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: MS Word stopped working...???

In <20021008172443.36004.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 10/08/02
at 09:26 AM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>Some programs look for a file named Share.exe in either the root folder
>or the DOS folder. This file can be azero-byte file created with a text
>editor (such as Notepad). Other programs may simply look for the string
> "share" in the Autoexec.bat file.

This matches the advice you have been given previously.

>I do have a zero-length share.exe file in the C: root, it was there when
>I started having the problem. I had renamed it and copied
>D:\os2\system\share.exe into C: root as a test, but that didn't help. I
>have now changed it back to the way it was.

Try creating at c:\dos directory and put a dummy share.exe there too.

That's about the only thing left to try. I am assuming that you have
already tried putting a proper reference to share.exe in autoexec.bat. If
you recall, the prior attempts you posted were all syntactically
incorrect.

>Scandisk run under the standalone PQMagic rel7 DR Dos diskette says there
>is a too-long path or filename, but does not give me the name of the

That's expected.

>file, it just says to run scandisk under windows to fix the problem.
>But, scandisk under Windows95 will not run to completion, it keeps
>starting over from scratch after a running a few minutes, saying another

You probably don't know you need to run scandisk from Safe Mode. Try it
that way.

>I've tried putting the zero-length share.exe file in other folders
>accessible to Word at startup time, but nothing changed. I even
>re-installed OfficePro 4.3, but it still says I have to "exit Windows
>and load SHARE.EXE in order to run Word".

This is expected. Word is not going to look in random places for
something it expects to be in a specific location.

>I am beginning to wonder if Word somehow requires the share.exe program
>to be installed in a C: FAT partition with a 16k cluster size.... which
>I cannot do because there is not enough room in a FAT partition w/16k
>clusters (it is limited to 1mb). I may experiment by hiding the Win95
>partition and creating a small C: partion with FAT and 16k clusters and
>putting share.exe in that partition.

I wouldn't bother. When you are running Word under WinOS2, most of this
is hidden. Your C: drive could be HPFS and Word would run, as long as it
believed share was loaded.

Steven

Return to [ 08 | October | 2002 ]