Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 06:20:14 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: OS/2 Compatible Network Cards

Hi Harry
you are welcome ;-)

With my answer this morning I have forgotten another important
point:
How are you going to access the WWW with your LAN or its
workstations ?

Judy's LAN.TXT describes the connection of her PC's to the WWW
via
one of her systems ! If you are considering a Router, i.e. a SMC
700x BR
or somthing similar you could gain of some benefits:

Each PC of the LAN is connected with each other
Each PC of the LAN has its own access to the WWW
Each PC of the LAN has access to ONE printer connected to the PP
on the router
The Router has a Firewall (Topic: Security)

The choice of the Router is depending on your environment:
How many workstation are you connecting now and possibly in
future ?
How many printers are you connecting now and possibly in future ?

My personal hint is:
Do plan some spare connections if possible !
i.e. if you are running 3 PC's I would invest in a Router with 8
ports than 4 only !
If you are already running more than one printer: I suggest a
separate print server !

I am not a tech expert but I am speaking of my own experiences
and the limits
I faced and struggled later ;-)

Your fellows on SCOUG are having clever hints also !
Do not hesitate to ask an diskuss you intentions ...
... the better you sketch and design your LAN the
bigger is your pleasure with an intelligent environment ;-))

Have a nice day
svobi

PS:
Soon I am getting an 3 port bidi Printer Server from USA - see
here:
http://store.yahoo.com/comready/nettec3por10.html

hmotin@attglobal.net on 06.10.2002 14.35.58
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

Svobi,
Thanks very much for your input. The information really helps me.
I'm
pretty unknowledgable about networks. The information about the
Inel
card is very useful. I just read something about their features
that are
particularly useful in OS/2. It was in the May 2001 issue of
"Extended
Attributes", the OS/2 magazine from the Phoenix OS/2 society.
This is
the same user group that Judy McDermott is connected to. I have
not
fully disgested that article yet, since many of the concepts are
new to
me. I'll look up the Judy McDermott textfile that you pointed me
to.

I'm still struggling with the overall design of my LAN (whether
to use a
dedicated computer as the gateway, whether to use a software or
hardware
router, etc). I have decided on a few things, however. It's going
to be
Ethernet 100 Mb/s, using TCP/IP. For me the security is just not
there
for a wireless system. Also, it's slower than Ethernet. Beyond
that, I
haven't a clue.

HCM
"Info2SYNass.NET" wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Hi Harry
> Setting up a LAN has 2 important components: HW & Setup !
> Steven mentioned Chuck McKinnis website !
> That's a good reference.
>
> Myself I just changed from my elder SMC 10MB NIC's
> to Intel PRO 100 NIC's which I bought new from eBay ;-))
>
> > I'm trying to establish a LAN in my home.
> > I need a network card that's OS/2 compatible.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions/experience in this area?
> >
> > For a relative complete list:
> >
> > http://pws.prserv.net/mckinnis/nicpak/index.html
>
> The second component is how to setup the LAN.
> Judy McDermott has written a helful textfile "How To !"
> Here is the link:
>
> http://www.moon-scape.com/warp/files/lan.txt
>
> It is easy to understand and describes the setup of an OS/2
> workstation as also an WIN95 workstation.
>
> Another important topic is either "cabled" or "wireless"
> but I do have the normally cabled LAN and no experience
> with "wireless" till now.
>
> In Germany is ARtem and they shall have OS/2 drivers for
> wireless components !?
>
> With my next move I perhaps may change to wireless too
> it will be more safe till then ;-)
>
> Good luck !
> svobi

Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]