Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:55:04 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com, abeagley@optonline.net
Subject: SCOUG-Help: REXX Interface to BA2K CLBACK Program

6

Sandy (and everyone),

Thanks for your comments. Attached please find a zip file,
BA2KCMD_v3.zip, which contains the latest BA2KCMD.CMD REXX program. I
also updated the ReadMe.htm file, including the addition of a "Version
Change History".

My thanks primarily to Alan Beagley in helping me find a few problems
with the program and encouraging a few enhancements (Alan, now under
option 7, if you select a tape device, the program gives you the choice
of selecting that same device for all your backups; also, in the default
settings I've excluding backing up backup files!).

If you do not have any remote partitions on your system, you can simply
replace the BA2KCMD.CMD file, presently on your system, with the one in
the attached zip file (the BA2KCMD_CONFIG.CMD will not change as a
result of the new BA2KCMD.CMD program). Also, replace the ReadMe.htm
file, presently on your system, with the one in the zip package.

However, if you have remote partitions on your system, you should erase
the BA2KCMD_CONFIG.CMD file on your system, replace the BA2KCMD.CMD
file, presently on your system, with the one in the attached zip file
and start over with a BA2KCMD_CONFIG.CMD file that correctly recognizes
your remote fixed disk partitons.

To answer your question, you should always use the facilities of the
program to change/update the desired options for all your backups. The
specific option that you are referring to is option 7. Here's what you
do:

1. Select the "Change the backup options for a commandline backup"
choice on the MAIN MENU (you can press and enter "O" from the MAIN MENU
to do that)

2. The "Select a commandline backup to change its options:" window
follows. In that window select the particular backup whose options you
want to change

3. Next, you will see the "CHANGE OPTIONS FOR BACKUP #...," window,
option #1. There are 27 of these windows, one for each of the BA2KCMD
options

4. Cycle up to the window for option #7. You can do that by pressing
the ENTER key 6 times, or by selecting item #2 in the first window and
then entering "7" in the next window that follows.

5. Anyway, you have to get to the window for option #7, Backup to
Device. Disable the default setting. Doing so takes you to the window
for the next option, option #8

6. Cycle back to option #7 by selecting item #2 (Skip ahead, or back,
to another option) in the option 8 window

7. Now back in the option #7 window, select the backup device that you
want. If it is a SCSI or EIDE tape device, you have to also give the
number of the tape unit. If it is a drive device, you have to specify
the full can complete path to the backup file that you want to back up
to. That back up file does not have to yet exist. If it does not exist,
CLBACK.EXE will create it as part of the backup process. However, the
full path up to the backup file has to exist. BA2KCMD checks for the
path up to the file. If it does not exist, BA2KCMD will not accept your
input

All of the above documentation, and more, exists in the ReadMe.htm file.

Good luck

HCM
Sandy Shapiro wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> >Attached please find a zip file that contains a REXX program for
> >interfacing with the CLBACK commandline backup program from Computer Data
> >Strategies, Incorporated (CDS). They are the makers of Back Again/2000
>
> Hi Harry,
>
> Thanks for sending me your latest REXX program for doing backups. I am
> very impressed with the work you have done. I love the Readme file and the
> program icon.
>
> I have one question.
> The default backup saves the backup file to the same partition as is being
> backed up. I can change this by going into the program and edititing the
> command lines to save the backup file to a different partition or drive.
>
> But I haven't figured out how to change this option using your Option
> feature.
>
> Once again, congratulations on a nice piece of work.
>
> Sandy

Content Type: application/x-zip-compressed

Unknown header: name="ba2kcmd_v3.zip" :
Unknown header: filename="ba2kcmd_v3.zip" :
File attachment: unknown

Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]