Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:09:58 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Utility Diskettes

> Did you mean _overwrite_ the first set with the BA2K utility ? I'm confused.

Yes. Basically, it's an overwrite. The steps in creating BA2K crash
recovery (emergency) diskettes are as follows:

1. Use the OS/2 utility to create bootable diskettes. You have to place
your installation CD-ROM in the drive to to this. You get 4 diskettes,
labelled DISKETTE 0 thru DISKETTE 3

2. Place the OS/2 bootable diskettes in the A:\ drive, as specified by
the BA2K utility, to create the crash recovery diskettes. BA2K refers to
the diskettes as DISKETTE 1 thru DISKETTE 4. The BA2K utility will
modify some of those diskettes to add the appropriate BA2K drivers and
files and update the CONFIG.SYS with the drivers that you are actually
using on your system (like Dani's drivers)

3. Using a 5th, blank and formatted diskette, BA2K places the crash
recovery program and related files on this diskette.

Right now I use the above created diskettes to:

A. Perform crash recovery, using a BA2K backup

B. Do maintenance work on my system

I have 2 complete sets of these diskettes in case one set gets somehow
trashed. I had to verify that the diskettes worked properly. At first
they did not. Although they successfully booted, they sometimes
eventually gave me a trap error somewhere down the line. I discussed
that the problem was the audio drivers that the BA2K utility added to
the CONFIG.SYS file. I just "REM" out the lines for those drivers and
everything is now OK!

HCM
"J. R. Fox" wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> HCM wrote:
>
> > The bottom line here is that, if you are creating utility boot diskettes, you can get
> > enhanced results by:
> >
> > 1. Selecting the "use newer files on the hard drive" option in the OS/2
> > diskette utility
> >
> > 2. Using the BA2K crash recovery diskette utility on the diskettes you
> > created from the OS/2 utility
>
> Did you mean _overwrite_ the first set with the BA2K utility ? I'm confused.
>
> I have made various emergency diskette sets over the years, a couple with the OS/2 "4-disk" utility, but mostly 2-disk sets using BOOTOS2. (Which
> reminds me -- I really should do this for eCS now.) A couple of these sets worked perfectly, others returned different errors, indicating that some
> components (like VDM, Help, or REXX support) were not set up correctly. I'd like to find out what I was doing wrong. (FWIW, the kind of hardware
> I've been running has been quite consistent for years.)
>
> Jordan

Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]