Return to [ 09 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:26:58 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Injoy Firewall Pro

Peter,

> 1. When we wired offices, we "stubbed out" ..., jacks up to the ceiling,
> and pulled in the cables later

I ain't going back up into the attic for this install. I just finished
putting installation up there and that was a job! Hot, dusty, no
lighting, low ceiling/roof...,

I got a lot more room downstairs in the basement to run things between
the various rooms and the switch. I'm going to leave a lot of slack in
the cables on both ends to take care of problems, like connector wiring
mistakes, no continuity between pins on opposite ends of the cable, etc.

> 2. Voice telephone cables were installed in the old days with a minimum
> of wall punching

Yeah, I know. But I am going to make the effort to install inside the
walls (no surface mounts).

> 3. (There's 1 Gbit ethernet available right now...,

I'm using the "Enhanced Cat5" cable. Other than fiber optic, it
supposedly is the fastest out there. It is supposed to be capable of
1Gb/sec

> 4. If you buy a hardware firewall then it can also be your
> router/switch

Yeah, I know. However, I thought that I would do this project in stages
and verify that each step is OK. Basically my plan is to install the
LAN, check it out thoroughly, without disturbing my present Internet
access on any computer. Then and only then will I install the upgraded
Internet access (DSL) to all computers. Therefore, I have to get a
switch first, for the LAn. However, I also want the protection from a
firewall. So, when I upgrade the Internet service, I'll have to get it
at that time.

> 5. Umm, where exactly were you planning on putting Injoy Firewall Pro
(IFP)?

I'll put IFP on my OS/2 computer as part of the Internet upgrade. The
other 2 computers are not mine and they use that other OS. That's why I
need the hardware firewall. If it was not for them, I could use IFP as
my software firewall and that's all I would need. I understand that the
software firewall of IFP is a lot more flexible and capable than
hardware firewalls. Also, I am not going to have a dedicated PC as a
gateway to the Internet. All 3 computers will be equal on the LAN.

Peter Skye wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Harry Chris Motin wrote:
> >
> > My plan is as follows:
> >
> > 1. Install the Ethernet cables and outlets behind the walls
> > [2-6 Buy and hook up various network stuff]
>
> Hi Harry,
>
> 1. When we wired offices, we "stubbed out" the runs first with short
> pieces of flex conduit that ran from the wall jacks up to the ceiling,
> and pulled in the cables later.
>
> ---- a. This made things a lot more flexible because we could always
> change the wiring by quickly pulling in more or different cables.
> (There's 1 Gbit ethernet available right now, plus fiberoptic. Video on
> your computer is one potential use of this higher-speed stuff.)
>
> ---- b. And then there was the time we had a leak in one of the roofs
> and the water ran down inside a wall and got into the cabling and
> shorted out the signals, and we had to replace the wires since nobody
> wanted to wait a month or two for the cables to dry out.
>
> ---- c. The stubs carried everything -- closed circuit tv, telephone,
> network, room intercoms, speaker wires, some special thermostat stuff,
> you could even use them for extra doorbell hookups.
>
> 2. Voice telephone cables were installed in the old days with a minimum
> of wall punching -- the installer simply ran the cable along the top of
> the wall kickboard and around the trim on the door frames.
>
> ---- a. High-speed signals don't like sharp "pinch" turns in their
> cables (I don't have a spec on this, anybody know of one?) but this
> still might be a simpler technique than a lot of wall cutting and
> patching.
>
> ---- b. There are surface-mount wall boxes available so you don't have
> to open up a wall when you install a connector.
>
> > 2. Buy/install a 10/100 Ethernet switch
> > . . .
> > 7. Change over my Internet access to DSL by adding a DSL
> > modem and separate router in front of the switch
>
> Umm, where exactly were you planning on putting Injoy Firewall Pro
> (IFP)? Is your separate router going to be another PC which runs IFP?
> Most people want the firewall to be right after the cable/dsl/56k
> modem. If you buy a hardware firewall then it can also be your
> router/switch.
>
> - Peter

Return to [ 09 | October | 2002 ]