Return to [ 09 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:57:32 PST7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: MS Word working...!!!

>Steven Levine writes:
>> WayneC said:
>>I do have a zero-length share.exe file in the C: root, it was there when
>>I started having the problem. I had renamed it and copied
>>D:\os2\system\share.exe into C: root as a test, but that didn't help. I
>>have now changed it back to the way it was.
>
> Try creating at c:\dos directory and put a dummy share.exe there too.

Did this, but Word "share.exe" problem was still there.

> That's about the only thing left to try. I am assuming that you have
> already tried putting a proper reference to share.exe in autoexec.bat. If
> you recall, the prior attempts you posted were all syntactically
> incorrect.
>
>>Scandisk run under the standalone PQMagic rel7 DR Dos diskette says there
>>is a too-long path or filename, but does not give me the name of the
>
> That's expected.
>
>>file, it just says to run scandisk under windows to fix the problem.
>>But, scandisk under Windows95 will not run to completion, it keeps
>>starting over from scratch after a running a few minutes, saying another
>
> You probably don't know you need to run scandisk from Safe Mode. Try it
> that way.

Thanks for this tip! I brought up Windows95 in safe mode, and was able to
run scandisk; I ran it three times until I got an error-free run, then I
defragged the C: partition. All looked well, and after rebooting Win95,
everything I tried in Win95 was still working fine.

Booted Warp... Word share.exe problem is still there.

Steve Carter writes (in a separate post):

> You might try looking at a Winword tip in the Voice newsletter of 5/2001
> at: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0501H/vnewsft.htm
>
> It describes a problem possibly somewhat similar to yours.

Text of the info from that webpage:

******** start of text ********

March 19, 2001 - Someone signed Vogon, on comp.os.os2.misc offered the
following information in regard to a problem with installing M$ Office 4.3
under win-OS/2:

Warp 4.51: Installed MSOFFICE 4.3 into WinOs2 & tried to run Word.

It failed to start saying I had to "exit windows and load Share.exe" :(((

After some research on the web & some trial & error I found that it was
sufficient to put the command: "SUBST C: D:\" in the autoexec.bat. D is my
boot drive.

I did not have to have a dummy share.exe anywhere.

******** end of text ********

Hooray!!!! That did the trick, thanks so much for tracking that down for me
Steve!!!

Thanks to Steven Levine for his many suggestions, and figuring out how to
clean up my C: partition!

That SUBST command only seems to affect DOS sessions, it doesn't appear to
be in effect for OS/2 sessions.

Now, can anyone explain to me WHY this SUBST command works? Or why it's
needed NOW, after running for years without it?

Wayne

Return to [ 09 | October | 2002 ]