Return to [ 15 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:56:31 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: BOOTOS2 + eCS

> > BOOTOS2 2Disk=A Source=P:\BootECS\Required VDM Help Trace
>
> >and let 'er rip. Attempts 4 & 5 failed due to insufficient disk space.
> >O.K., I could have left out VDM and Help, but the \DLL, \Install, and
> >\MDOS directories created under \OS2 on Disk one are empty. The obvious

Steven replied to me:

> Makes sense that it would fail. You are trying to stuff about 10MB of
> files on 2 diskettes. Keep it simple and try:
>
> bootos2 source=P:\BootECS\Required target=A: format:fat ga400
>
> It will be tight, but it should fit.

Not even close, Steven. I tried it this way. Trace wasn't invoked, so I can't be entirely sure, but it looked like this bombed out around AIC78U2.ADD, which I
think is about a 140K file. 89K was left free on Disk 1, but the \DLL directory did not propagate. Since playing by "the rules" got me nowhere, and absent a
better idea, I think I'm back to Plan B: reconstruct (deconstruct ?) a 4.5 kernel set based upon the example of the last working W4 set I made (in terms of what
goes where, but the later files), and see if I can make that work. If not, I guess it will be back to the IBM Utility Diskettes option.

> >larger kernel . . . and I gather we would need the later kernel for
> >things like supporting LVM. Or maybe the 2-Disk option is no longer
> >possible with a 4.5 level Warp ?
>
> I would not worry about about disk count, until you have a working set of
> diskettes.

I remain to be convinced that it is still possible. Your comment sort of implies that a BOOTOS2 set could go more than 2 diskettes . . . ?

> >One other thing is that I deliberately fashioned a pared-down Config.Sys
> >specifically for this set, and placed it in the "Required" directory
> >where it's supposed to go, yet BOOTOS2 ignored it, insisting on putting
> >all sorts of unnecessary stuff (like all the Internet networking stuff)
> >into a large Config.Sys on Disk 1. That never happened when I made these
> >sets for W3 or W4.
>
> The moral here is don't do that. Don't try to break the rules until you
> have success following the rules.

Well, you know, it's amazing how much stuff I managed to pack onto those W4 BOOTOS2 sets: full OAD Zip support, CDROM support, VDM support, DAT drive support,
necessary files for BackMaster, CHKDSK, RMVIEW, TEDIT, & more. A lot of this was after the fact, by trial and error. But it is nice to have a road map, to
avoid a lot of the error.

I'll be glad to post contents of the respective diskettes. For example, I've already done whatever I could do with the first of the new diskettes. This
required ditching PREVIOUS.DAT, ISAPNP.SYS, DANIS506, and DANIATAPI, none of which I think is relevant to my system. This freed up enough space for AIC78U2,
OS2ASPI, and a couple smaller files.

Jordan

Return to [ 15 | October | 2002 ]