Return to [ 11 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:10:38 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: config.sys

Butch,

If you really, really, truly, truly loaded the same file into the 2
editors, then they are identical. They only look, or display,
differently because of the the word wrapping issue.

You can tell if you loaded the same file. Look at the very top of each
editor in the blue strip area. It will tell you right there the file
loaded. In your case it should say:

C:\CONFIG.SYS

because you are booting from the C:\ drive. Look and find out. If you
find the same file in both editors, then you are only seeing display
differences in those editors (word wrap versus no word wrap)!

>It was mentioned earlier to use the system editor because of a wrapping
>issue in EE, correct?

NO! NO! Use the OS/2 Enhanced editor, not the OS/2 System Editor. You
want to see each and every individual line in the editor. You DO NOT
want to see long lines word wrapped into 2 or more lines. With the OS/2
Enhanced editor it will display every line as exactly 1 line, no matter
how long it is. In the System Editor you can not do that. You get word
wrapped lines.

The idea here is that, when you manually edit the CONFIG.SYS, you want
to maintain the integrity of each and every line. You do not want to,
say inadvertently, combine 2 lines together, because you used the
"Delete key" when you should not have. With the Enhanced Editor and each
line displayed individually as one line, you can see any mistakes, when
you make them. If indeed you use the System Editor and lines are word
wrapped, you may not notice a mistake. That is especially true, because
with word wrap, you may not get it right with respect to where 1 line
ends and the next one begins. You may inadvertently cut off a line in
the middle, say, because of the word wrap confusion.

OK! Use the OS/2 Enhanced Editor.

Finally, Butch, make a copy of your CONFIG.SYS file and save it
elsewhere. PLEASE DO IT, BEFORE YOU EDIT THE FILE. That way you can
restore it and go back to a working CONFIG.SYS, should ANYTHING GO WRONG
WITH YOUR EDITING. Lot's could go wrong. You could inadvertently make a
mistake. Someone could give you some editing instructions (like from RSJ
Software), that MIGHT not work. Hopefully, what RSJ tells you to do will
work. But there is ALWAYS a small chance it will not. Different systems
behave differently. RSJ may not have throughly scoped out a particular
problem. Etc. Etc. Therefore, protect yourself. MAKE A COPY, ALWAYS AND
FIRST!!

HCM

eyeleica@lvcm.com wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> I've been strapped for computer time lately and am still in the midst of
> limited time, but in the few moments I have had this morning, I started
> looking at the two editors in the system, Enhanced Editor and the os/2
> system editor. I pulled up config.sys for the c drive with EE and
> config.sys from the d drive with the system editor. The config.sys files
> are entirely different! Is that correct? Should they be different in
> their contents? Now I am asking basic, stupid questions, but that is where
> I am coming from right now. Sorry for these type questions. It was
> mentioned earlier to use the system editor because of a wrapping issue in
> EE, correct? I am thinking of going on with what I have and reinstalling
> the couple of programs I installed----warpzip and mozilla. Mozilla was no
> problem reinstalling and updating. In fact, it was installed by Steven in
> July, I updated the version without mishap. I found that there were files
> for warpzip, but no installation file. I found the uninstall exe and
> uninstalled it. I can now reinstall it and basically, I will be back
> where I was before trying to install RSJ. Then the fun with RSJ should
> begin :)
>
> butch
>
> --

Return to [ 11 | October | 2002 ]