Return to [ 16 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:11:56 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: C:\ question

Hi
This idea of some specific directories, i.e. like rootos2,
network is not bad
but has a critical aspect being on the same drive as the whole
system !

Another point: I dislike is the multiples entries ...
... therefor I do have a directory WS (=Workstation) on every
system.
This directory contains all the following directories:

<< WS220 ** FiRE >> C:\WS >dir

Volume in drive C is WS220_FIRE Serial number is 3D3A:A3BD
Directory of C:\WS\*

15.12.01 14.09

0 .
15.12.01 14.09 0 ..
15.12.01 14.09 336 PAGING
15.12.01 14.09 445 SPOOL
15.12.01 14.09 334 SWAP
15.12.01 14.11 573 SYS
15.12.01 14.12 381 TEMP
15.12.01 14.12 380 TMP
15.12.01 14.12 894 TOOLS
0 bytes in 0 files and 9 dirs
429'670'912 bytes free

Like this I am collectting all workstation specific data in this
directory.
Another benefit of collecting these all in a single directory is
the easy
ability to save this single directory to another partition or
even HDD.

Regarding security copies of CONFIG.SYS:

I do very frequent savings of this important file before of some
system installations. I am always having some CONFIG files
with a very specific extension:

CONFIG.SYS is the original
CONFIG.S8A till S8Z are CONFIG backups / saves from August (8)
with A to Z as sequence
CONFIG.SAA was the first CONFIG backup of October ;-))

My current listing of CONFIG.* looks like:

<< WS220 ** FiRE >> C:\ >dir config.*

Volume in drive C is WS220_FIRE Serial number is 3D3A:A3BD
Directory of C:\config.*

1.08.02 8.03 11'305 35 CONFIG.S8A
7.09.02 16.02 11'296 35 CONFIG.S9C
25.09.02 17.05 11'442 35 CONFIG.S9T
01.10.02 8.54 11'845 35 Config.SAA
14.10.02 17.36 11'781 35 CONFIG.SAU
14.10.02 17.36 11'781 35 CONFIG.SYS
69'450 bytes in 6 files and 0 dirs 72'192 bytes
allocated
429'797'376 bytes free

Like this I am quite save with my system !

Have a nice day,
svobi

jrace@attglobal.net on 16.10.2002 00.55.23
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:47:36 PST7, Steven Levine wrote:

>The are backups created by the various install programs. If you
>understood what you were looking at, you could probably use one
of the to
>restore your system to the state it was in just before you
attempted to
>install RSJ. The files should cause no problems, but if you are
not
>goting to attempt to restore, they are essentially useless so
why not
>delete them. The choice is yours.

My MO:

I have a directory c:\rootos2

Every time I modify config.sys I copy it to this directory,
renaming
it consecutively e.g.

C:\COPY CONFIG.SYS C:\ROOTOS2\CONFIG.NNN

I then go in with a text editor and comment the top of the file
to identify its delta from nnn-1.

I also have ROOTDOS for my DOS CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files,
treated similarly.

This procedure, which takes a bit of time (and which I read on
a list some years back) has saved my fanny many times. I back
up to floppy for archival purposes.

I also now have C:\NETWORK for my PROTOCOL.INI files treated
similarly.

Jeffrey Race

Return to [ 16 | October | 2002 ]