Return to [ 16 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:13:23 PST7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Using Infozip to backup

jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net wrote:

> If JIm Davison or Peter Skye reads this, there
> is no g option in either of the zip.exe's I used.

Hi Jack!

Apologies, I'm not sure what this g option thread is about. I don't
have a g option in my zip.exe either.

For backup I'm currently using dSync (on Hobbes) which mirrors drives or
specified directory trees. It's fast and handles *all* files, which
XCOPY doesn't do. There's no compression but, personally, I don't like
compressed backups because I can use the backed-up copy as if it were
the original -- no need to unzip. And I never run into the 2 GB maximum
file size which you can get with a .zip file (try zipping up an
almost-full 8 GB partition and you'll get an error, but a mirror done
with dSync will copy all the files).

Note that it's only HPFS and FAT that have the 2 GB restriction; JFS
allows 2 TB files.

And with that, I'm out the door and headed back to San Diego. I'll
check in again next week.

- Peter

Return to [ 16 | October | 2002 ]