Return to [ 04 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:14:41 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: MS Word stopped working...???

In <20021004073329.38172.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 10/03/02
at 11:33 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>The C: drive (Win95 system partition) IS visible to Warp, but not very
>useful since Warp can't handle the long filenames and extended
>attributes; I've just ignored the C: partition when Warp is up.

Where are you booting OS/2 from? D:?

Given the crosslinks, it sure seems like the MSWord install put something
on C: and now it's either gone or corrupted.

I do find it somewhat humorous that in your original post you said nothing
had really changed lately on your system.

>1. I copied share.exe from d:\os2\system to a FAT partition, then booted
>Win95 and copied it to the root of C:

Probably not useful. See below.

>2. there is no C:\DOS folder but there is a C:\DOSFILES so I copied
>share.exe there same way as in (1.)

Probably not useful. WinOS2 apps have no reason to reference c:\dosfiles
or even know it exists.

>3. placed "load D:\os2\system\share.exe" in Warp's autoexec.bat (BTW, the
> path statement in autoexec.bat already included D:\os2\system and C:, in
> that order)

Why are you using load? It's not a valid DOS command.

>4. tried "loadhigh append D:\os2\system\share.exe" in Warp's autoexec.bat

Why are you doing this? Append is not a valid option for loadhigh.

FWIW, anything you can do in autoexec.bat you can do from a DOS VDM
command line. You should be doing these experiments from the command line
so you can see what's failing and what's not.

>Same error message from Word (winos2) every time on startup: "You must
>exit Windows and load SHARE.EXE in order to run Word"

Well, nothing you have done yet will even load share.exe, assuming that's
the real problem.

Try this:

- Open a DOS fullscreen session
- Type:
d:\os2\system\share.exe
and press Enter

You will probably get an error message, but this is not to correct share
for a DOS VDM.

Let me know if this is the case. If so, we can get back to working on
what really changed. If not:

- Type:
win
and press Enter to start a WinOS2 in the fullscreen session.

>Is there something in winos2 folders that's akin to autoexec.bat that
>might need to be altered?

Which WinOS2 folders? d:\os2\mdos\winos2 and below? Your problem is most
likely on the C: partition.

Steven

Return to [ 04 | October | 2002 ]