Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 09:35:44 PST7
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: New DaniS506 breaks IDE Secondary channel drive error reporting

Hi Peter
thanks for your reply and your concerns ;-)
I will add my comments into you text below:

pskye@peterskye.com on 06.10.2002 16.10.50
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:
Subject: SCOUG-Help: New DaniS506 breaks IDE Secondary channel
drive error reporting

>Hi Svobi,
>
>Info2SYNass.NET wrote:
>>
>> After backgrading from DaniS506.ADD version 1.51 to
>> version 1.45 and rebooting the system I still got
>> presented the "Version 1.51" on my screen ;-(
>>
>> Once more I compared the files and copied version
>> 1.45 manually and with the next reboot I got
>> displayed version 1.45 correctly
>
>You might have more than one copy of DaniS506.ADD on your boot
drive.
>Try running
>
> dir C:\danis506.add /s
>
>and see if more than one shows up. The driver is loaded with a
BASEDEV=
>statement and if I remember correctly the associated driver may
be in
>either the \OS2\BOOT\ directory *or* in the root directory, but
I don't
>know which directory is checked first.

Whenever I installed a set of Danis drivers I am intalling with
OS/2 "Device Driver Install" in the Setup / Install Folder.
This will place the drivers to the system respective locations ;-)

However it was first time I need to back-grade and so I was
wondering
why the system installation did not work properly ;-|

Well, I do have a very specific directory structure where I
do keep the previously installed versions of some replaced
or updated stuff ;-))
But this should not interfere the system installation process !

>> My present configuration:
>>
>> IDE1 UDMA66 master HDD0 is the system only drive Quantum 7.5GB
>> IDE2 UDMA66 empty
>> IDE3 UDMA100 master HDD1 is the executables only drive DW 20GB
>> IDE3 UDMA100 slave HDD2 is the data only drive IBM DTLA 75GB
>> IDE4 UDMA100 empty
>>
>> >The problem appears to (at least sometimes) affect
>> >drives on the Secondary IDE channel but not the
>> >Primary IDE channel. Are your two smaller drives
>> >on the Primary while your 75 GB is on the Secondary?
>>
>> Very curious !
>> With IDE1 & IDE 3 I am not using these "secondary" channels !?
>> Or is my interpretation like this wrong ??
>

>You are correct; you aren't using the IDE Secondary channel.
>Your 75 GB drive is on the Tertiary channel.

Must be a Latin expression ;-)
Primary, Secondary, "Tertiary" and what is the next if
I get activated my 4th IDE socket ???

It seems that I need to back-grade my system to a level
that I can follow and understand its technology ;-)

>Andrew Belov has just uploaded the new version of SmartMon.
Here's the
>link:
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/incoming/smartmon.zip

Just downloaded and tried:
There is no big difference to my previous one:

/0 shows the 1st drive with the system partitions / Quantum 7.5GB
/1 shows "No device at unit 1 (new display)
/2 shows the 2nd drive with the ececutable partititons / WDC 20GB
/3 shows SMART is not supported for the IBM DTLA 75GB

>> I had another very curious experience:
>> To gain from the max speed of the channels and the drives I
>> tried to connect my executable drive as master on IDE3 and
>> wanted to connect my data driver to IDE4 but got system traps
>
>I don't know why that would happen. There is a way to determine
what
>module is causing the trap but I've never tried it; I think you
have to
>run "PROCDUMP ON C:\TEMP" and then run PMDF. Steven Levine can
give you
>more info on this and if I'm wrong he can sandiego me. See
PROCDUMP.DOC
>(it's a text file in \OS2\SYSTEM\RAS\) for more info.
>
>It would be well worth your time to find the cause of the trap,
since
>once it's fixed you can then move your data drive to IDE4.

Well, I already had some troubles with these experiments
and I am not going to repeat ;-)
If my new systems are ready I may retry my experiments
without hot data on the experimental system and with the
newer mobo providing UDMA100 on all 4 IDE sockets for
all of the 8 drives ;-))

At the moment I have to stop experimenting now !
Have a nice Sunday afternoon
svobi

Return to [ 06 | October | 2002 ]