Return to [ 27 | October | 2002 ]

Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:03:48 PST7
From: "Larry Tawa" <larry.tawa@worldnet.att.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Fujitsu 1.3GB SCSI MO-Unit and HPFS

In <21739.05.28.18.27.10.2002@dslextreme.com>, on 10/27/2002
at 05:26 AM, "Info2SYNass.NET" said:

>Hello
>Since 1999 I have this unit and use some 540MB and one 1.3GB media.
>In the old century, I am not really sure anymore, I may had have some
>medias formatted in HPFS !?!?
>Now, since a while I am trying, trying and retrying and again to get this
>HPFS formattings again ;-( Whatever I do and try I do not get it ;-((
>drive currently !

snip

Good morning,

Last century, I was using a ThinkPad 560, Adaptec PCMCIA 1460 SCSI-2
adapter and a Fujtsu 640SE MO drive. IBM USA, IBM Canada, and IBM Japan
websites were of no use. IBM Japanese (note spelling) drivers were not
useful to me.

Finally with help from various people, I put together a synthesis of ideas
on 11 June 2000 which worked for me. I have only changed the names of the
people that I wrote the email to.

HTH,

Larry

"YYYYY & XXXX,

A pleasure to meet YYYYY at WarpTech 2000 - your suggestion to rescan
DejaNews helped: the appropriate references in March 2000 paid off!

To run HPFS on a Fujitsu MO 640SE drive; assuming that one has the
appropriate SCSI drivers loaded:

(1) do *not* install the MODISK.SYS driver included on the Fujitsu MO
640SE drive's CD-ROM. The MODISK.SYS driver *only* allows FAT partitions.
So put that CD-ROM in storage in case you need Window's support later.

(2) Do not use/need OPTICAL.DMD driver.

(3) n512_001.zip (attached to this email) located at Hobbes contains
N512DASD.FLT driver; from the readme file located within n512_001.zip:

snip (ie in your config.sys file)

.
.
.
BASEDEV=XDFLOPPY.FLT
BASEDEV=N512DASD.FLT /v
BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD /of /rf
.
.
.

after booting with N512DASD.FLT you should see one more HD, which you
will need to partition and so on...
snip

(4) Warp 3 Fixpack 35 or Warp 4 Fixpack 6 with removable media support (?)
*may* be the minimum for the N512DASD.FLT driver to function. One would
have to read the enclosed files within n512_001.zip more closely than I
have.

(5) FDISK (you are right, YYYYY) than FORMAT the MO disk with HPFS!

(6) Miscellaneous:

a) The Fujitsu 640SE MO drive must be on at time of system bootup; the
MO disk does *not* have to be in the MO drive at system bootup or system
shutdown.

b) When one inserts the MO disk in the Fujitsu 640SE MO drive, the MO
disk must *not* be write-protected or else the disk will not be "loaded"
properly & then the MO disk must be made writable (ie non write-protected)
and then CHKDSK X: /F:2 with all data intact.

c) When one inserts the MO disk in the Fujitsu 640SE MO drive, with a
writable MO disk (ie non write-protected), all data is intact and the MO
disk functions as say a floppy but with HPFS (assuming that you have
formatted the MO disk as HPFS).

d) to eject the MO disk, at an OS/2 command prompt: "eject X:"

e) X: is the drive letter of the MO drive.

Hope this is useful.

Regards.

Larry

ThinkPad 560 Warp 4 FP 13 with Adaptec PCMCIA 1460 with appropriate SCI-2
adapter"

Return to [ 27 | October | 2002 ]