Return to [ 25 | September | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:08:41 PST7
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: RSJ uninstall

Butch,

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I asked you directly whether or
not you had to reboot on your edited CONFIG.SYS file and whether or not
you and RSJ together understood all the issues.

I'm sorry, but it was hard for me to believe that simply copying over
entries in your CONFIG.SYS would bring back a viable installer. It was
more likely that you had to edit the config.sys and then reboot to get
the uninstall bar
functional on the installer. And I think that was what RSJ was REALLY
trying to tell you. You see, RSJ becomes functional only via the drivers
that are installed on your system through the CONFIG.SYS during bootup.
These are the same drivers RSJ physically placed on your hard drive
during your
install of RSJ. They are the drivers called out with the new and added
lines in the CONFIG.SYS upon each bootup. That is why the RSJ
installation modified your CONFIG.SYS, so that it would call out these
drivers upon bootup. If the CONFIG.SYS does not call out the RSJ
drivers, or if it only calls out some of them, the RSJ package will not
be fully functional on your system.

I think that the first priority is to get you back to a functional
system. See if you have a file called, CONFIG.CDW, on the boot drive of
your system. It should be in the same directory as your CONFIG.SYS file.
If you do, I believe that it is the CONFIG.SYS file that RSJ saved
before you installed. If you have this file, you can copy it over your
present CONFIG.SYS (that is, make it your new CONFIG.SYS file).

However, I have one caveat, first: Since you tried to reinstall RSJ, the
CONFIG.CDW file that you might be the one just that you copied over,
following the instructions from the RSJ people. If it is, it will not
work for you. Your only option then is to REM out the offending lines in
your CONFIG.SYS file, the one that locks up your system.

If the CONFIG.CDW does not work for you (that is, renaming it to
CONFIG.SYS and trying to boot on it), then REM out all the RSJ lines in
the CONFIG.SYS
file that locks up your system. You should find lines something like the
following in that file (you have different hardware, so it will be
slightly different on your system):

BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT -n -i:"YAMAHA CRW3200"
DEVICE=C:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
IFS=C:\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
RUN=C:\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "C:/TMP" -c20000 -b2048 -t2 -i3 -s0

Put a "REM" with a space after it on all of these lines to make the
CONFIG.SYS ignore them.

For example, all of the above would become:

REM BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
REM BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT -n -i:"YAMAHA CRW3200"
REM DEVICE=C:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
REM IFS=C:\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
REM RUN=C:\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "C:/TMP" -c20000 -b2048 -t2 -i3 -s0

After you do that, try booting on that CONFIG.SYS file. It should work
for you. You should be able to boot without a lockup.

After you accomplish a good bootup, getting your entire system back the
way it was before you originally tried to install RSJ, after that, we
can then talk about getting a good and working installation of RSJ on
your system.

I believe that I can help you with that by correlating what RSJ told you
versus what I had to do. OK? Willing to try?

HCM

Butch Langel wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> The people at RSJ told me to uninstall RSJ I had to boot my machine
> with the working config.sys. Copy config.sys.old (the one with RSJ
> entries) over config.sys and call the installer. They say the install
> button should be available. It wasn't. I rebooted and am back where I
> started with system lockup at boot.
> In addition, I am not having much luck getting a command prompt at
> boot.
> Just about time to do the windows thing and reinstall the system. That
> should be interesting.
>
> Butch

Return to [ 25 | September | 2002 ]