Return to [ 25 | September | 2002 ]

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:53:11 PST7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Printer Driver Meltdown

> >tape strikes me as even more drastic a solution. Perhaps just a selected
> >list of files could be overwritten / backlevelled this way (from a
> >diskette boot, of course), if I knew which ones to choose ? Might that
> >not be another route to the same destination ?

Steven replied:

> This is an alternative. If you just restore the contents of the \Desktop
> tree

I take it you mean the \Desktop section that ZTree shows as being empty, or mostly empty, although it really
isn't ?

> and os2.ini and os2sys.ini, you will do what a typical desktop
> restore does.

> The desktop backup/restore tools don't do anything really special beyond
> making the process easier.

That's about what I thought might be the case.

> You might consider posting the current results of prndrv -l

Here it is:

Found PrintQueue 'StylusCo' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'Printer' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'IBMPCL5L' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'Printer2' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'Printer1' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'HPLaserJ' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'IBMPCL51' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'PTQ1' PMPRINT
Found PrintQueue 'EPSONPR4' PMPRINT
Found Printer 'IBMPCL5L' LPT2 EPOMNI3.Stylus COLOR 1160,PSCRIPT.Lexmark Optra Color 40,IBMPCL5.Lexmark Optra
Color 1200
Found Printer 'HPLaserJ' LPT1 LASERJET.HP LaserJet 4,LASERJET.HP LaserJet Series II
Found Printer 'PTQ1' PSCRIPT.Lexmark Optra Color 40
Found PrinterDriver 'OMNI.Stylus Photo 1200'
'E:\OS2\DLL\OMNI\OMNI.DRV'
Found PrinterDriver 'LASERJET.HP LaserJet 4'
'E:\OS2\DLL\LASERJET\LASERJET.DRV'
Found PrinterDriver 'EPOMNI3.Stylus COLOR 1160'
'E:\OS2\DLL\EPOMNI3\EPOMNI3.DRV'
Found PrinterDriver 'IBMPCL5.Lexmark Optra Color 1200'
'E:\OS2\DLL\LEXMARK\PCL\IBMPCL5\IBMPCL5.DRV'
Found PrinterDriver 'PSCRIPT.Lexmark Optra Color 40'
'E:\OS2\DLL\PSCRIPT\PSCRIPT.DRV'
Found PrinterDriver 'EPSONPRT.EPSON Stylus COLOR 800'
''
Found PrinterDriver 'LASERJET.HP LaserJet Series II'
'E:\OS2\DLL\LASERJET\LASERJET.DRV'
Found PrinterDriver 'IBMNULL'
'E:\OS2\DLL\IBMNULL\IBMNULL.DRV'

Basically, the HP Laser on LPT1 (accounted for by an older and a newer driver -- at this point, I could probably
zap the HP-LJ II driver, since that printer will be gone shortly, as I've been using my LJ-4 for many months now)
has untouched, still well functioning drivers. Everything else is for LPT2, and all of those are zombified &
useless. I can't believe that damn Color 800 one still shows up, *after* PRNDRV did its scorched earth thing on
LPT2. That is the one I was trying to get rid of, and I have destroyed the objects for it. Next I'll get rid of
the files. But there must still be stuff about it in the OS2 system files, which UniMaint isn't showing me. (Or
I don't know where to look for it.)

Even if I can turn the clock back slightly from tape, I'll still have the open question left over, about cleaning
up the no-longer-needed drivers.

> There are several ways to make the objects go away. prndrv should have
> done the job painlessly, but something when wrong.

I'll be needing some of those other ways.

> >print job _may_ emerge from that printer. I guess what I need right now
> >is a step-by-step action list for killing these zombie drivers, and
> >redoing them from scratch. (Or trying a possibly out-of-date WPS backup,
>
> The driver definitions are defined in several applications in os2sys.ini,
> but explaining the relationships is a bit too complex for e-mail.
>
> What's needed to delete the settings for all the corrupted printer
> objects. It probably would not hurt to delete the printer driver dll's
> too.

Settings ? How, where ?

> You might want to consider Wed's IRC chat session. We could walk through
> the process.

Doubt I'll be able to make that tonight, but I'd like to get the chat session option enabled. I've never done
this before (although I understand that Mozilla has something built-in for it), and expect that my firewall may
need some adjusting in order to allow it.

Jordan

Return to [ 25 | September | 2002 ]