Return to [ 08 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:07:56 PDT
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: PMSHELL CPU hog

Steven Levine wrote:

>>None of my drive images seem to be any good.
>>

>What do you mean by this? I thought you had a Desktop problem?

I mean I don't have one that will give me a functioning WarpCenter.

>>UpDateCD install says it can't find C:, one image has same problem. I
>>unzipped a recent copy of the partition after formating.
>>Maybe you munged the MBR while playing about with WinXX installs.

I tried DFSEE NEWMBR. I have not seen any positive effect, yet.

>>SC, DOS, W98 and OS/2, except that OS/2 didn't have enough objects on
>>the desktop to do anything much.
>>

>You need to reexamine your Desktop backup procedures. It would appear
>that unless your hard drive is just plain broken, your backup procedures
>are not rock solid.

InfoZip of the partition plus copies of inis plus DeskSave. DeskSave
does not "correct" a desktop, it creates new directories and objects
resulting in a lot of duplicate objects but without the normal icons.

>>It gave me a single, empty WarpCenter tray. Prop\Trays\Default got some
>>of it.

With the empty tray, that was created because the OS said the old one
was corrupted, the activity monitor was still pegged. System setup had
an object in the system folder. It opened OK but I am more used to the
one that drops down from the tray. So I dragged it to the tray. It
stuck and the activity monitor dropped to normal. I created a new tray,
clicked Default, and it gave me the basics including SysSetup.

Reboot, I have two empty trays and a pegged activity monitor.
Properties\Tray\Default - fixed again - until boot. I don't have a
pattern, but I can fiddle with trays and get the activity monitor come down.

>You need to back up \os2\dll\dock*.cfg and \os2\dll\scenter.* when you
>backup the Desktop.

I had an AMD socket 7 that I could restore by; boot to
floppy\format\unzip. Worked every time.

OS/2 cannot see C drive, from HDD or floppy. DOS and W98SE boot from
that drive.

#1 - C: primary 1.4G, Single extended; 1.8, 0.7, 2.0, 2.0G FAT16. 1.6G space.
#2 - Single extended; 2G FAT16, 18, 30 & 30G HPFS.
W98SE & DRDOS are on C:, OS/2 on E:.
Extended partitions sometimes become type F "spontaneously".

At the moment W98 can see CD and ZIP.

Ray

Return to [ 08 | April | 2003 ]