Return to [ 09 | April | 2003 ]

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:40:12 PDT
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Do NOT use zip -u (was: System backup zip suggestions ? Restore)

Ray Davison wrote:

> These are my backup and restore cmd files.

Thanks, Ray. I'm only doing a separate backup of the files I need to
restore when I scramble my system, so the CONFIG.SYS, OS2*.INI,
scenter.cfg, dock*.cfg and Desktop are all I need.

I use dSync (a mirroring copy program) for the big backup.

> Any Idea why on some machines the restore is
> perfect and on others there is no usable desktop?

Maybe because you use -u? There's a double whammy when you use -u. You
get ghosts and you may get invalid compare determinations.

> zip -rgSu9TvE U:\BACKUP\WEB\zipe E:\ >U:\BACKUP\WEB\e.log

What is the -g option? It's not on my zip 2.3 help screen.

I tested with -9 (compression ratio) and found the difference was very
small so I didn't use it.

-T is a good idea, thanks. From the help screen I thought this was just
for a non-encoding run; I didn't realize you could have zip check the
file integrity at the end of the process.

-v displays the exact byte counts of each uncompressed and compressed
file. The compression percentage is displayed both with and without
it. It's good if you're interested in the compressability of the
different files.

Don't use -u to update a prior backup. With this option, zip won't
replace a file if it thinks it hasn't changed, but who knows how zip
determines if a file or its EA's have changed or not. Without -u, "The
default action is to add or replace zipfile entries from list" while
with -u the program will "update: only changed or new files". If you
are going to use -u then you have to delete the entire .zip file before
running which of course negates (on purpose) the use of -u. You should
never keep modifying your previous .zip file using the -u option. And
with -u you also get ghosts -- zip is not a mirroring program and you'll
get yourself into a lot of trouble if you don't make a brand new .zip
file each time. Do this:

if exist U:\BACKUP\WEB\zipe del U:\BACKUP\WEB\zipe

Don't use -u and don't update a prior backup file (which is the zip
default action so you have to specifically make sure it doesn't).

- Peter

Return to [ 09 | April | 2003 ]