Return to [ 31 | August | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:25:58 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Java 1.1.8 kludging (was: Anyone instant message?)

In <200308311406577.SM02000@host-66-81-26-240.rev.o1.com>, on 08/31/03
at 02:04 PM, Michael Rakijas said:

>Helpers or wrapper - it becomes a bit of sematic nit picking IMHO. I
>liken it to the old DOS extender technology. I would have called the
>latter a helper rather than a wrapper but I wouldn't be stubborn about
>it.

It is pretty much semantics, but it does help if we agree on the terms. I
consider something a wrapper if it executes before the core application.
A help is something that the application executes to extend it's
capabilities. An application rarely knows a wrapper exists. It always
knows helpers exist because it's responsible for invoking them.

>In any case, I agree that it looked like an application specific
>rendition of pe (I would have said Odin) but I don't know what was
>included or excluded to say how app-specific it was. For all I know, it
>might have been Odin outright.

It's Odin technology but not Odin per se. The Odin code that comes with
Innotek Java is supposed to be entirely independent of any existing Odin
installation. Turns out this is not entirely true, but it's a defect that
Innotek will correct.

>> Install the zip as is to \Java11\lib and add a reference to CLASSPATH so
>> that Java can find it.

BF alert. I meant to say "install the jar" rather than "install the
zip." I must have been thinking of Polarbar or some other app.

Stevven

Return to [ 31 | August | 2003 ]