Return to [ 16 | February | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:17:31 PST8
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Z

eyeleica wrote:

> Just the other day, I received an mp3 file via irc. My first impulse was
> to play it, but was unable for a lack of a mp3 player. I downloaded and
> installed Z and thought things would go well. However, I've never been
> able to get Z to function. Z starts, but when I attempt to exhibit a
> playlist, nothing occurs. Thinking the latest Z is alpha, I uninstalled
> and installed an older version. Same result.

I'm a longtime user and fan of Z, but must admit I've never bothered with the playlist
feature. Couldn't even tell you how long it has been available in the program. Assuming
the .mp3 file in question is not corrupt (either initially, or in transit), and not of
some exotic type that Z can't handle, the player should at least function properly in
"single-shot" song mode, invoked from the OS/2 session Command Line. This is not really
a GUI program, it is pretty straightforward, and it should either work this way or not.
If it doesn't work, I'd first suspect the .mp3 file. Then, some problem with your
installed copy of the program. If necessary, I can send you other versions of Z (I've
archived quite a few of them), and some song samples on CD, all known to work here, for
testing purposes. Confirm it working in this most basic way, *then* you can get fancy
with correct file type associations and being able to invoke it from a desktop object, if
you so desire.

I can't speak to the status of your multimedia setup or hardware . . . .

Jordan

Return to [ 16 | February | 2003 ]