Return to [ 12 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:28:51 PST8
From: "Info2SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Setting up a LAN

5

Hi Harry
I am also not an Network expert but I recommend you the
attached file from Judy McDermott:

- LAN_MCD.txt

It's written well understandable and I believe it helps you !
If you have more questions: Do not hesitate and do ask !!
Ahead of starting networking it looks and sounds quite
complicated ...
... but as more you get it working and understand:
I am sure you'll like it too ;-))

Regards from Switzerland
svobi

hmotin@attglobal.net on 12.01.2003 16.55.30
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc:

Hi and HELP, HELP, HELP:

I need some help in setting up my LAN. I have NEVER configured a
computer for a LAN and that's the problem. I looked at Mike
Rakijas's
SCOUG presentation, "Networking Your House". It appears to be
written
from the viewpoint of already having at least 2 computers talking
and
working together in a network and not from the viewpoint of
installing
the network from scratch (my take on his presentation; he talks
about
testing out the installed cabling, using a known and working
network
setup between 2 computers).

Here's my situation:

1. I've installed Ethernet cabling throughout the house. I've
tested
the installed cables for end-to-end continuity in all the wires.

2. I've installed a NIC in my OS/2 computer. The driver appears
to be
installed, because I see it showing up at bootup. Also, it shows
up
under the "MPTS Network Adapters and Protocol Services" as
"Configured"
for "LAN adapters and protocols".

3. Now, I want to complete the job of installing the network on
my OS/2
computer and then test it out. To test I will use a direct
Ethernet
connection to a Windose machine in another room (using a
cross-over
patch cable, temporarily attached to the other machine)

Can someone please instruct me as to the steps I need to take on
my OS/2
machine? Do I need to use the OS/2 installation CD-ROM and
install "File
and Print Client"? Do I need to install anything else, such as
NetBIOS?
A simple outline of the steps that I need to take would really be
appreciated. Thank you in advance.
HCM

*** >>> Say NO to HTML in Mail and News <<< ***
*** ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ***
*** >>> AGAINST TERROR +++ AGAINST WAR <<< ***

name="LAN_MCD.txt"

THIS DOCUMENT MAY BE DOWNLOADED OR PRINTED FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
THIS DOCUMENT MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED ON ANY WEBSITE WITHOUT PERMISSION.

AUTHOR: Judy McDermott
http://www.gt-online.com/~bri
bri@gt-online.com.
1995-1998 Judy's Warped World

LAN Setup

A LAN allows the sharing of modems, printers, files and other hardware.
A network may consist of two or more devices that share information up to several hundred workstations connected to servers. Many questions pertaining to installation and configuration have been posted in mailing lists and newsgroups.
This may be overkill, but this will take you through the installation process and configuration step by step.
Definitions of the protocols will not be discussed.
This information is readily available in the OS/2 information guide or the internet.
The following is the setup of my personal home LAN.
Installation of Windows 95 will not be covered other than configuration of the Microsoft Network.

Hardware

For my network, I'm using Western Digital WC8013C Network Interface Card, NIC in each machine.
They're connected to a LinkSys 5-port Workstation hub using various lengths of CAT5 10BaseT cable.
It's recommended that the cables not exceed 328 feet in length.

IP Address Selection
There are Classes of specific IP address that are used on a LAN.
They do not route through the internet and cannot be accessed from outside of the network.
Information about the classes can be found in RFC-1597.
Class C is commonly used for small networks; because they are contiguous,
they may be treated as larger networks, up to the maximum of 254 addresses.
So if using a Class C you could use 192.168.1.1., 192.168.1.2 etc.
You cannot use 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.255, because they're reserved for the
network and broadcast addresses.

MCD

My personal LAN consists of three machines that reside on the network known as MCD.

JUDYMC OS/2 Warp 4.0 - Host/Server. - Connects to the internet.
IP 192.168.1.1

Protocols:
Network Adapter
IBM TCP/IP
IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
File and Print Client

MICKEY OS/2 Warp 4.0 - Workstation
IP 192.168.1.2

Protocols:
Network Adapter
IBM TCP/IP
IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
File and Print Client
BRIANNAWindows95 - Workstation/Printer server
IP 192.168.1.3

Protocols:
Network Adapter
Client for Microsoft Networks
NetBEUI
TCP/IP
File and printer sharing for Microsoft
Networks

***
Additional services and protocols are available depending upon your networking needs.
Select "Help" during installation for assistance or after installation of OS/2 you may open
the Assistance Center folder, select Information, TCP/IP Command Reference for information
***

This setup includes OS/2 Peer

Installation -

During the OS/2 Warp 4.0 installation process, you will be presented with the following.

OS/2 Warp Setup and Installation screen
Select File and Print Client and TCP/IP Services - There are other options available,
select Help for details. Select Next.

Configuration Screen lists the services available
Select File and Print Sharing Services - This will allow you to share files, printers and
hardware across the LAN.

Fill in the following fields:

Workstation Name:
JMCDERM - Enter a name that is unique to this particular machine.

Workstation description:
WarpServer - Each machine should have a different name that describes the individual machine.

Domain Name:
MCD - The same Domain Name will be used by each machine that shares resources on the LAN.

Select Install Sharing

Network Adapter for File and Print Sharing - If the NIC was detected during installation, it will be
listed under Network Adapters and clicking on the red > will change to green >. If not proceed.

User ID and Password - Complete entry fields and click the red > to change to green > if configured correctly.

TCP/IP Services - This may be configured at the time of installation or through the TCP/IP Configuration (LAN)
notebook after installation is complete. I choose the later, so will discuss this in the configuration section.
You will receive a "Configuration" notice when you proceed to the next step, select "OK"

Network Adapters and Protocol Services - If the NIC was detected, you will see a list containing the Network adapter, 0-IBM OS/2, NETBIOS and 0-TCP/IP. Click on "Network Adapters and Protocol Services and the red > will now convert to a green > if configured correctly. If the NIC wasn't detected, select "Add Adapter". If your network adapter is not listed select "Other Adapter" and install the driver from floppy. "Add protocols" as listed above.

Click Network Adapters for File and Print Sharing Services and Complete entry fields and click the red > to change to green > if configured correctly.

Click "Install" and continue installation.

OS/2 Configuration

OS/2 has completed installation and you've "killed the Elephant", it's time to configure TCP/IP and NetBios. I'll use the IP address that are used on my LAN and will only cover sections needed to get your machines communicating and sharing.

JMCDERM
Open the following folders: OS/2 System, System Setup, TCP/IP Configuration (LAN).

Network
Lan interface 0
Configuration Options
Enable interface and Manually Using
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
loopback interface: Select Enable interface and Manually using:
IP Address: 127.0.0.1

Routing
"Add"
Route type: NET
Destination address: 192.168.1.1
Router Address: 192.168.1.0
Metric: 1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Enable IP Forwarding

Hostnames
This machines' hostname: MANDIE
***This appears in the config.sys as: SET HOSTNAME=MANDIE***

Local domain name: ameritech.net
***This is my ISP, Internet Service Provider***

Nameserver addresses:
"Add" 206.141.193.243
"Add" 206.141.251.2

***These are provided by your ISP and may be referred to as your Destination IP Address and/or Domain Nameserver.***

Autostart
This section allows you to select the services that will start automatically.
For full details see TCP/IP Command Reference, inetd.

General

Username:
Specify the name of the user authorized to log on to your workstation using the REXEC server.
This username is also used by your line printer (LPR) client.
This sets a USER environmental variable in the config.sys.

Security

Telnet password:
Specify a password that will be required for authorized users to log on to the host using the Telnet server.
FTP access protection:
"Add" and complete fields. This will create the file x:\mptn\trusers.

Servers

Self explanatory

Socks

Not used with this setup

Printing
Remote print server: RISKY
Remote print server's printer: LPT1
***This is configured on the Windows95 machine to allow other
machines on the network to share the printer.***

Mail
Not used with this setup

Sendmail
Not used with this setup

Exit and "Save"

Do not reboot at this point.

Open MPTS Network Adapters and Protocol Services folder and select
"Configure" Select NetBIOS Socket Access then "Configure" you should now see your NetBios hostname.
Select "OK"
The Status will now be Configured
Shut down and reboot.

MICKEY
Same configuration as above with these exceptions.

Network
IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Routing
"Add"
Route type: type D for Default
Router address: 192.168.1.1
***This automatically adds a Net entry also.***
Do not select IP Forwarding on this machine.

Hostnames
This machines hostname is: MANDIE

Continue configuration to meet your needs. Once NetBIOS is configured, shut down and reboot.

MICKEY can now ping 192.168.1.1 and JMCDERM can ping 192.168.1.2.
Now we're talking!

BRIANNA
Install Microsoft Networking

Open the following folders:
My Computer, Control Panel, Network.

Install
Client for Microsoft Networks
Network Adapter
NetBEUI
TCP/IP
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Configuration of Client for MS Networks
My Network Adapter was detected during installation and no changes were needed for NetBEUI

TCP/IP (Properties)
IP Address
Select "Specify an IP Address"
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WINS Configuration
Disable WINS Resolution

Gateway
No configuration

Bindings
Client for MS Networks and File and
Print Sharing for MS Networks listed.

No Configuration

DNS Configuration
Enable DNS
Host: Bri
Domain: MCD
DNS Server Search Order:
206.141.193.243 "Add"
Primary Network Logon:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Select "File and Print Sharing" for access options.

Identification
Computer name: Brianna
Workgroup: MCD

Access Control
Your choice

Select "OK", the machine will shutdown and reboot.

All machines on the LAN are now able to ping each other and share resources after
access permissions are setup on each machine.

Internet Access

JMCDERM uses the InJoy Dialer which allows the option of IP Masquerading.
MICKY and BRIANNA have been configured with the "Default Route" allowing
them access to the internet through JMCDERM.

InJoy Dialer is a product of F/X Communications, http://www.fx.dk/.
It has been rated as one of the top OS/2 programs.
It's a very inexpensive way to share an internet connection over a LAN.
It's very easy to setup and configure.
It offers such options as redial, autostart of programs, alternate phone numbers,
a "Ticker" and much more. Software must be registered to use the IP Masquerading feature.
Well worth it in my opinion.
I used it with my USR 33.6K modem and now with a 128K ISDN.

What Happened!

There are some readme's that might help if you run into trouble.
Error Messages Reference x:\IBMLAN\ERROR.TXT
README.MPT for Multi-Protocol Transport Services (MPTS*)
x:\IBMCOM\READ.MPT

***You really should know the name of your Network Adapter prior
to installation. If not supported directly, obtain the OS/2 compatible driver before you get started.
It's also helpful to know the IRQ and I/O address should there be a conflict.***

Return to [ 12 | January | 2003 ]