Return to [ 12 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:19:46 PST8
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: DLink Nic

Rocky wrote:

> As it turns out, the DLink 530TX and the 530TX+ are completely different cards.
> The 530TX had been my standard netcard for a long time and was, I believe, based
> on a DEC chip (I'm not positive). I have maybe a half dozen of these strewn
> about my network and have been generally happy, once you can find the driver for
> it. Since I did, and replicated it everywhere I've needed it, I have had no
> trouble. The 530TX+ is based on the RealTek 8139 (relabeled DL10038C in the
> DLink application)

I half-recalled this issue. Thanks for refreshing our memories.

> and was developed by DLink presumably because they needed a
> Wake-On-LAN capability which the 530TX does not have. Personally, I don't care
> about that feature

And I actively dislike it. Just plain TROUBLE over here, whenever I've upgraded
H/W and overlooked turning it OFF.

> but DLink stopped building the 530TX around the time of the
> switchover and I found it increasingly difficult to find it. I bought a bunch
> of them, anticipating the eventual demise of the 530TX and it's only now that
> I'm starting to exhaust my supply.

> I still see the original
> > 530-TX sometimes at local computer shows. Probably down to around 8 bucks, by now.
>
> I scour the shows, too and have not seen a new 530TX in a long, long time. I'd be
> extremely wary of a 530TX card at a show now since DLink has acknowledged
> discontinuing them a long time ago. I wouldn't care if it were shrinkwrapped,
> it might very well be a used card.

Hmm, maybe so. I've lost track of how recent the last "sighting" was. But I do think
there must be leftover stock on these (and numerous other items) floating around _somewhere._
As to used items, I go out of my way to avoid Frys-style re-shrinkwraps, 'cause you never know
what's coming back. On the other hand, I have bought a few used components on Ebay -- out of
necessity -- and haven't run into one that was DOA yet.

Jordan

Return to [ 12 | January | 2003 ]