Return to [ 13 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:08:18 PST8
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: DLink Nic

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox" on Sun, 12 Jan 2003
11:19:46 PST8

> Rocky wrote:

[...snip...]

> > I scour the shows, too and have not seen a new 530TX in a long, long time. I'd be
> > extremely wary of a 530TX card at a show now since DLink has acknowledged
> > discontinuing them a long time ago. I wouldn't care if it were shrinkwrapped,
> > it might very well be a used card.
>
> Hmm, maybe so. I've lost track of how recent the last "sighting" was. But I do think
> there must be leftover stock on these (and numerous other items) floating around _somewhere._
> As to used items, I go out of my way to avoid Frys-style re-shrinkwraps, 'cause you never know
> what's coming back. On the other hand, I have bought a few used components on Ebay -- out of
> necessity -- and haven't run into one that was DOA yet.

I don't have any qualms about buying refurbished or even used equipment,
presuming it's billed as such. I have problems buying used equipment that is
billed as new. If the person selling it has no qualms about the
misrepresentation, they may also be representing (or don't care much about) its
working state. Considering that I obtain new 10/100 network cards in the $5-$10
range, it hardly seems worth the risk. I'm more likely to deal with the
Frys-style re-shrinkwraps in this circumstance since I have some place to bring
it back. With the shows, you've got to make sure the place you're buying from
is close and they give you a receipt among the bazaar type frenzy and you still
have to chase half cross town if something goes wrong. Fry's at least is a
known quantity. My $.02.

> Jordan

-Rocky

Return to [ 13 | January | 2003 ]