Return to [ 28 | January | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:27:35 PST8
From: "Info [at] SYNass.NET" <Info@SYNass.NET >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Which choice of RAM modules ?

Thanks.Steve
Your argument is absolutely correct but the biggest modules =

are the newest and expensivest mostly !?

What you suggested I had done with my notebook 8 years ago:
My Toshiba T4900CT had only 8MB RAM ...
=2E.. upgrading modules were available either 16 or 32MB but =

one slot only: I took the 32MB module for a hell of over 1000 US$ !

This notebook is still with me and working ...
=2E.. but getting old, slow and weak ;-)

Beside of your argument I am also considering the security aspect:
2 times half the RAM instead one ig module only are better in the case =

if one module fails !

It will be noticed that one is failing and the 2nd one allow continuing
work !!

Regarding the technical specs:
My mobo has 3 sockets and currently allows a maximum of 1536MB RAM:
So I may take 2 times a 512MB module and leave one socket as reserver =

for another, last upgrade to its max !!!

Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers, svobi =

scarter@vcnet.com on 29.01.2003 06.14.02
Please respond to scoug-help@scoug.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
cc: =

Svobi:
I chose 1 of the largest size that would fit =

rather than two smaller ones, planning on future =

expansion with a small, limited number of memory =

slots available. =

I did not want to buy the memory and then have to =

replace it with a larger size because I had run =

out of empty slots. =

Your argument makes sense too, but I'll take my =

chances with bad memory sticks. =

Steve =

++++++++++++++

On 10:42 PM 1/27/03 +0000, Info [at] SYNass.NET wrote, in part:
> =

>I am going to build one or two more systems ...
>... one as my new experimental system and the other as replacement =

>of my wife's one.
>
>One of my important focus regarding our systems is to use exactly =

>same components in all the systems. My question:
>
>What is the better choice: 1 x 512MB RAM or 2 x 256MB RAM ??
>
>Thanks in advance for your advise and suggestions.
>svobi

Return to [ 28 | January | 2003 ]