Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:27:11 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: iptrace again

In <3F103221.35E66129@verizon.net>, on 07/12/03
at 09:06 AM, Zdenek Jizba said:

>> > ppp0:[ 0.000]: process_pkt: len=33, type=24
>> > ppp0:[ 13.750]: process_pkt: len=53, type=24
>> > ppp0:[ 16.250]: process_pkt: len=33, type=24
>> > ppp0:[ 30.016]: process_pkt: len=34, type=24
>> > ppp0:[ 3.047]: process_pkt: len=83, type=24
>> > ppp0:[ 0.000]: process_pkt: len=61, type=24

> On the command window, I pressed enter a second time AFTER the mail and
>newsgroup window displayed the message: "There was no response. The
>server could be .......". The ppp0: list above was ALL that showed up on
>the command prompt screen.

You need to re-read the Mr. KIA article. This is exactly what should
happen. If there are parts of the article that are not clear to you, just
ask questions.

>Next I entered the command: type iptrace.txt |more
>and saved EVERYTHING that showed up on the screen. It is
>the text that was sent.

You need to re-read the Mr. KIA article and follow the suggested
procedure. You don't understand what you are seeing, so why change the
procedure? You didn't save everything because for several reasons.
First:

------------------------IGMP Header-------------------
------------------------IGMP Header-------------------
-- More --

is not anything that would be output by ipformat. Second, the summary
screen shows at least 7 packets and what you sent me was only packets 1 to
4.

> I will need some help on how to get that output. Is
>ifconfig ppp0 a file?

No. ppp0 is the name of your dialup interface. iptrace always writies
its output to iptrace.dmp. This is binary file. The command:

ipformat >iptrace.txt

which you seem to have an adversion to using, reads iptrace.dmp and writes
a human readable version to iptrace.txt. I need to see a copy of
iptrace.txt when you finally create it why way Mr. KIA suggests.

> Thanks. If you don't mind I may delay sending you some of this
>information but I will try to do it before July 25. I am being pressed
>for time.

No rush. This is your problem we are working on. ;-)

>Amtrak to Palo Alto July 25 to meet my daughter there so we can spend
>some 3 weeks backpacking in the Sierras.

Have fun.

>There is one bit of
>good (for me) news however. This morning when I tried eCS 1.1 to get
>"subscribe" -- It finally worked!--

Maybe Verizon fixed something?

Steven

Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]