Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:06:07 PDT7
From: Zdenek Jizba <jizba@verizon.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: iptrace again

Steve,
I will try to answer your questions but quite frankly
some I do not understand

Steven Levine wrote:

> > ppp0:[ 0.000]: process_pkt: len=33, type=24
> > ppp0:[ 13.750]: process_pkt: len=53, type=24
> > ppp0:[ 16.250]: process_pkt: len=33, type=24
> > ppp0:[ 30.016]: process_pkt: len=34, type=24
> > ppp0:[ 3.047]: process_pkt: len=83, type=24
> > ppp0:[ 0.000]: process_pkt: len=61, type=24
>
> I am surprised you did not send me the entire trace as an attachment, but
> that's probably part of your problem.

On the command window, I pressed enter a second time AFTER
the mail and newsgroup window displayed the message: "There was
no response. The server could be .......". The ppp0: list above was
ALL that showed up on the command prompt screen.
Next I entered the command: type iptrace.txt |more
and saved EVERYTHING that showed up on the screen. It is
the text that was sent.

> What's here is enough to get started.
>
> Your computer's IP address for this trace is 068.136.071.034
>
> Here we go at time 0.
>
> >-------------------------- #:1 --------------------------
> > Delta Time: 0.000sec Packet Length: 33 bytes (21 hex)
> > PPP: Protocol 0x0021 (IP)
> > PPP: Dest: 224.000.000.001 Source: 067.193.240.011

That is all I got. There is no more

> Also, it would help if you sent along the output of:
>
> ifconfig ppp0
>
> This helps me know which IPs apply to which systems.

I will need some help on how to get that output. Is
ifconfig ppp0 a file?

> To summarize, there are two possible reasons for the failure:
>
> - the news server is dead
> - the news server does not believe you have the right to connect to it
>
> More will be revealed with additional analysis.
>
> You need to run the same trace when connected to a working news server.
>
> Steven

Thanks. If you don't mind I may delay sending you some of this
information but I will try to do it before July 25.
I am being pressed for time. Right now I have to read
some legal documents and approve/sign, make an appointment etc.
all within the next 10 days. At the same time I have to get ready to
take the Amtrak to Palo Alto July 25 to meet my daughter there so
we can spend some 3 weeks backpacking in the Sierras. Early next
week I will unsubscribe temporarily to SCOUG help, programming
and general to reduce the amount of e-mail while I will be out of
town. There is one bit of good (for me) news however. This morning
when I tried eCS 1.1 to get "subscribe" -- It finally worked!--

Return to [ 12 | July | 2003 ]