Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:23:27 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DNS resolution failures on the P2 (was LinkSys Router settings)

In <20030616235124.9530.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 06/16/03
at 04:51 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>to do this test because I thought my networking folders on the P2 might
>have a miamatch in levels, and that I might be able to use these new
>folders to repair my P2.

The P2 levels may be mismatched, the problems you have are configuration
issues not software version issues.

>The 192.168.x.x addresses are my LinkSys router (192.168.1.1) as seen by
>my local LAN-attached computers. My ISP LAN uses addresses in the range
>of 64.30.211.xxx (gateway is 64.30.211.254, and my IP is in that same
>sequence), while the ISP's dns addresses are 66.59.235.1 and
>64.30.215.129 (I haven't got the latter dns address set up in my router,
>however).

>OK, I will send you three traces off-forum.

OK. I got them. The AMD works because it's configured correctly. The P2
fails because it's configured incorrectly. According to the traces you
have not yet made the corrections to RESOLV2. You can do this with a text
editor work with the TCP/IP configuratin notebook.

>The first is a straight trace showing several unsuccessful attempts to go
>to a website, while the last attempt is successful.

I will point out the obvious errors reported by p2iptrc.lst.

Packet #1 is a DNS request to 149.174.211.005 which resolves to

arl-name-svc-1.compuserve.com

This is compuserve' primary DNS, but I'm sure you where not expecting to
be talking to it. You have a leftover reference to it somewhere. Perhaps
in the Linksys. Perhaps in RESOLV (not RESOLV2).

Packet #2 is a request to resolve

www.cris.com.waynesworld

This is clearly wrong and is either because you have not corrected RESOLV2
or there's yet another reference that needs to be corrects.

FWIW, unless you send me updated copies of the files you change, I must
assume you have not changed anything.

>The other two traces may or may not be inter-related. I started a trace
>on the P2 (the machine with the dns problem) and clicked on a Mozilla
>website bookmark, uncuccessfully. Then I started an iptrace on the AMD
>and did the same on it, successfully. Then I went back to the P2 and
>clicked the bookmark, this time successfully.

They are not all that useful. Of course, the AMD trace shows a single DNS
request to the correct DNS server which is why the page displays without
problems. Also, I can see that the P2 is .101 and the AMD is .102, so
that is useful until it changes.

FWIW, a trace on the P2 is only going to see traffic into and out of the
P2.

Steven

Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]