Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:45:55 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DNS resolution failures on the P2 (was LinkSys Router settings)

In <20030617021555.37237.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 06/16/03
at 07:15 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>No, on the P2. The cloned scsiWarp partition on the AMD is still not
>bootable with the ide 40gb drive attached. I know the config.sys comments
> are confusing, they evolved over a number of years.

OK.

>Well, I don't think I was confusing domain with hostname, at least not in

I said that because hostnames are a single word and domain names are not.
To learn more about this, open up the TCP/IP configuration notebook,
search on "domain name" and read the section titled "Configuring LAN Name
Resolution Services."

> the tcpcfg or the LinkSys router. It did appear thet the "resolv2" was
>mixed up, so I must have done something that caused that.

RESOLV2 is written based on what you tell the TCP/IP Configuration
Notebook.

>Actually, I do
>not think that "linkline.com" has to be the domain name.

It's the correct value for you.

>resolv now says:

> domain linkline.com
> nameserver 66.59.235.1
> nameserver 64.30.215.129

>resolv2 now says:

> domain (not a misprint, it is blank)
> nameserver 66.59.235.1
> nameserver 64.30.215.129

Frankly it's confusing to keep track of when RESOLV is used and when
RESOLV2 is used. One's for modem connections and the other is form LAN
connections (like your DSL setup) I usually just force them both the
same.

>I reran the adapter configurator to remove the FXWRAP1$ entry.

I noticed that, but I didn't think I was causing your problems because
protocol.ini was not binding it to anything. Perhaps I was wrong about
this.

>I made sure that tcpcfg showed the same hostname as config.sys and left
>the local domain name blank (this seems to be propogated from the
>LinkSys anyway).

Yes, the DDNS part of the Linksys should supply this.

>I updated the LinkSys router to use "WayneLS" as the hostname for the
>LinkSys (which is an optional entry) and left the domain name (also
>optional) blank; set up 2 dns addresses to the addresses provided by my
>ISP (I formerly had tried both and just one dns address without effect).

When you are connected, you can check out what you have been supplied.
From the command line:

hostname

will report your fully qualified hostname so you can see both the hostname
and the domain name part. I'm pretty sure the DHCP Monitor shows this
too.

>Anyway, you got me pointed at the right area, Steven, and it is now
>working!!!!

Well, that beats a reinstall. :-)

>This could have been the culprit (FXWRAP1$), but it's hard to say that,
>because that entry has been in my protocol.ini for a long time and the
>problem is only a couple of months old. I may add it back in on
>protocol.ini just to see if it causes the problem to reoccur.

As I mentioned above, I don't think FXWARP was an issue. The only
protocols that can get bound are those called out in the [IBMLXCFG] config
section.

>Now, do you want me to change the subject on my posts for my AMD ide 40gb
> (and install diskettes) problems?

See my reply with the changed subject header. :-) I don't claim it's the
best possible header. Just different.

Steven

Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]