Return to [ 16 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:18:49 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

In <20030616052225.54992.qmail@bjork.linkline.com>, on 06/15/03
at 10:21 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>ide and install Warp from cdrom), now I'm not sure what changed, but I
>am once again having difficulty loading the diskettes... diskette 1 is
>hanging on "loading ibm1s506.add" now (it already loaded aicu160.add). I
>thought I'd resolved this, but...

>It's possible that I disconnected the scsi cable to get around this
>diskette problem when I created the new "vanilla" Warp4 fp15 partition
>(from the Warp cdrom) on the 40gb ide drive.

Well, only you can determine what you changed. Try booting with the SCSI
out. If the diskettes work, then we can guess that's where you stopped
working on the diskettes last time.

>os2scsi.dmd, except that I am using the dani equivalents and jjscdrom on
>the Warp partition. I regret to say I am not certain if I had to go to
>the dani equivalents to get the partition to boot properly... I think
>not, but I do recall having difficulty at first with the cdroms before I
>changed drivers.

This would all be much easier if you kept some notes of what you did when.
Your nature is to try to do too much at one time compared to how much you
can recall from memory.

>me to be only intended to be reminders. Took me awhile to figure out
>that "C" on the bottom of the help screen meant the Ctrl key, for
>instance. Sorry, guess I'm dense.

Well, a simple one sentence question here would have gotten you an answer
in minutes if anyone was around.

>That, my friend, will not be easy, if even possible, which is why I
>originally intended to simply clone the old partition rather than trying
>to start over from scratch.

Well, unless you have all the applications installed to the boot partition
or you really meant to say you intended to clone all the partitions with
the same drive letters your intended method would not achieved the result
you desired.

>I don't really know what you mean by these terms. NAT means nothing to
>me. DHCP is supposedly done by the LinkSys router, and in fact, my
>tcpcfg ("hostnames" tab) seems to pick up the LinkLine dns server
>address from my router, which is where I plugged it in. I don't
>understand "local DNS" either, but if that means my own computers would
>be handling DNS, I sure didn't intentionally try to set anything up to
>do that.

Never mind. I figured out from your subsequent posts that you were using
a router, not Injoy. The both do the same thing.

>If you want the IP addresses of my computers, I'd prefer to send them to
>you off-forum. The NIC address in my AMD ends with "..ABCD", while the
>Netware server ends with "..F08D"

Whatever. You are probably using IP addresses in the 192.168.x.x range.
These are private addresses with everyone uses. There's nothing special
about them other than that your ISP wiil not route them onto the Internet
backbone unless they make a mistake. I don't the need the ethernet
addresses of your NICs. FWIW, your NIC addresses are in every IP packet
you send to your ISP so it's not like they are hidden.

I need to be able to correlate the IP addresses to the particular boxes to
be able to say anything useful.

>I regret to say that the traces I sent you may not both be from the
>system as it is currently set up... if you are seeing addresses
>192.216.128.6 & 7, those are Linkline dns addresses I've since changed
>to just one of the two dns addresses that LinkLine says to use in my

Just rerun the traces. I'll lose to obsolete ones.

>"vanilla" Warp4 fp15 works fine renews my desire to re-install
>networking on the cloned partition. If that worked, then I could do the
>same to my P2 Warp.

It's your system. We can only provide guidance.

>I have the same versions in both the install diskettes and the os2\boot
>folder of the ide "vanilla" Warp4 fp15 partition, but I have since set
>up the latter to use the dani drivers (danis506.add, danidasd.dmd,
>daniatapi.flt, aicu160.add, os2scsi.dmd, jjscdrom.dmd)

Mixing and matching like this is one to be better ways to get in trouble.
You should be using the same version of the drivers on all your boot media
and all your boot partitions. Sometimes you can get away with mixing and
matching at random. It does not appear that you have this freedom.

>computers, but long ago)... does the Warp primary partition need to be on
> the same physical drive as WinXP?

No.

>Does that mean it has to be the C:
>partition when booted?