Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:36:54 -0800
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
Subject: Re: Xtra util dsk | PQ (was Hard night.. continues)

Wayne wrote:

> I did find an error in config.sys, an extra ibm1s506.add statement which

> likely interefered with the dani ide driver. Can't explain how it got there

> I have a very large config.sys file, so it's easy
> to miss something like this.

There is a free (?) OS/2 utility program called CONFIGTOOL. It parses your
Config.Sys file, explaining many things and making suggestions. Also offers
editing of the file, archiving multiple iterations of the file, I think with opportunities
to compare them. I haven't used it enough myself to be sure, but I'm guessing that
it would have to flag duplicate line entries in order to really cover this task well.

It would indeed be worrisome if it turned out to be possible to follow the course you
have, and mess up a hard drive beyond retrieval. I suspect that is a less likely outcome
than some explanation involving proper configuration of the hardware, drivers, etc.
Have you tried to set up this drive as the sole hard drive in the system, and a Win
setup only ? If that can't be done, particularly with / for a simpler Win like W98,
I think that would tend to confirm a hardware issue. It would certainly remove any
possible blame attributable to OS/2 or any of its tools.

Jordan

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]