Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:14:46 GMT
From: waynec@linkline.com
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Xtra util dsk | PQ (was Hard night.. continues)

J. R. Fox writes:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> I did find an error in config.sys, an extra ibm1s506.add statement which
>
>> likely interefered with the dani ide driver. Can't explain how it got there
>
>> I have a very large config.sys file, so it's easy
>> to miss something like this.
>
> There is a free (?) OS/2 utility program called CONFIGTOOL. It parses your
> Config.Sys file, explaining many things and making suggestions. Also offers
> editing of the file, archiving multiple iterations of the file, I think with opportunities
> to compare them. I haven't used it enough myself to be sure, but I'm guessing that
> it would have to flag duplicate line entries in order to really cover this task well.
>
> It would indeed be worrisome if it turned out to be possible to follow the course you
> have, and mess up a hard drive beyond retrieval. I suspect that is a less likely outcome
> than some explanation involving proper configuration of the hardware, drivers, etc.
> Have you tried to set up this drive as the sole hard drive in the system, and a Win
> setup only ? If that can't be done, particularly with / for a simpler Win like W98,
> I think that would tend to confirm a hardware issue. It would certainly remove any
> possible blame attributable to OS/2 or any of its tools.
>
> Jordan

I think I've tried that tool, and another one, but before I started with
this current problem. I have been chasing another problem on my P2 machine,
where I lost the ability to connect to a Netware server I have set up.. it's
on the same ethernet hub I use for the dsl modem, so I knew the hardware was
working fine, and I had another computer on the hub that was able to connect
to the server, so I knew the server and it's cabling were OK.

I don't use the server very often. I figured something I installed or
changed on the P2 in the time since I last tried to connect must have
altered config.sys to cause the problem. I was having no luck finding bad
statements, so I tried those tools. The main issue I had with the one I used
was that it collected all the rem comments and placed them at the end of
config.sys. I have a lot of comments I put there to remind myself why I
rem'd out particular statements or altered them.

I never did find the problem, and I set it aside when I began installing
this new AMD machine.

With the help I've been getting here, I think that I'm making good progress
now... I've found and corrected at least 3 or 4 problems so far... so I
think the drive will likely be fine when all my own dumb mistakes are
corrected.

I have been working with that ide drive as the only drive for the past
several days... unfortunately I do not have a Windows version newer than
Win95, which Western Digital does not support. By the time I borrowed my
neighbor's WinME stuff, I'd already called WDC and they had already decided
not to help me because I use Warp.

Even if I did install the drive using WinME, the problems I'm encountering
in my own software and hardware would still be my roadblock... in retrospect
it would've been best if I'd used WinME first, then I'd have had the
reassurance that the drive wasn't broken, and/or the ability to use the WDC
support line if it was.

Thanks,
Wayne

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]