Return to [ 13 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:50:13 PDT7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

Steven Levine writes:
> In <20030613223334.98016.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 06/13/03
> at 03:33 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:
>
>>I don't have to, really.... but I say again, I do not claim to be an
>>expert on OS/2, never had any formal training on it.
>
> Nor am I and nor have I. I just use the same techniques I use to resolve
> problems on any system.

That's also what I'm trying to do.

>>Apparently I made the mistake of putting the term "www.xxxxxx.com" in my
>>email to you (where "xxxxxx" was meant to be a substitute for whatever
>>website I was trying to go to) and the email was probably intercepted by
>>a spam filter and relegated to your spam file.
>
> No. I understood what you meant. I just don't have any iptrace files
> from you. My spam filters are mostly whilelist based so it's extremely
> unlikely that any SCOUG-Help mail would go to the spam folder or from you
> would go in my spam folder. If find subject based filtering not very
> effective in most cases.
>
>>I'll send the trace to you separately, but I suspect that's a futile
>>effort and that it would be more productive for me to re-install the
>>networking folders.
>
> Thats' up to you.

I sent you 2 iptraces today in an off-forum email.

I am reticent to take a chance on destroying my P2's Warp partition,
considering how everything else has been going. I may set up the scsiWarp on
the AMD and try to use "selective install" to get the "installation
utitities"
and then, assuming that goes well, I'll use the "selective install for
networking" to reinstall networking on that partition. Not tonight, I've had
enough today, and I have other things I need to do tomorrow, so it may be a
couple of days.

>>Well, actually we never did get working boot diskettes for my AMD... I
>
> I sorta guessed that. However, I always go by the assumption that if I
> get no feedback the problem is fixed, especially when I know there are
> other problems waiting to be attended to.
>
>>Let me try again:
>
>>1. I have the problem of building a Warp partition on the AMD that sees
>>and understands the WDC 40gb ide drive that I added after cloning my old
>>Warp from the P2 to the scsi on the AMD. I had also originally done a
>>vanilla install of Warp from diskettes onto a second scsi partition
>>before I got the 40gb ide drive, but neither partition was bootable
>>after the ide drive was attached.
>
>>Problem 1 is partially solved, in that I was finally able to build a new
>>(from scratch) Warp partition on the ide drive from the Warp cdrom, the
>>WarpUp cdrom and the tailored install diskettes, except that:
>
>>a) The tailored install diskettes never did work "automagically", I still
>
> No one ever said they would. They just said it would make things easier.

I had the impression that they would, so I was expecting the install to go
as it would from the old diskettes on the old machine, once I got the right
files set up on the diskettes. I made a long series of attempts, including
trying to use the dani drivers on the diskettes, which booted up, but then
caused me problems later on when I tried to do the actual install; so there
was a lot of restarting from the beginning like that.... very time-consuming
and frustrating, and I'm sure my posts have been reflecting that

> Given my understanding of you AMD box and the drivers you have enabled on
> the diskettes, you might have needed to copy the aicu160 driver to the
> hard drive and edit config.sys. before. The rest would have gotten
> updated when you applied FP15 and DD02. Of course, you didn't say
> specifically which files you did copy, so I have no way of knowing if they
> really needed to be copied.

I can't recall for sure, should have written them down... it seemed like I'd
fix one, only to hang on the next one, etc, etc. When I finally got to where
I was able to boot the diskettes, I was looking at the hard drive's os2\boot
and os2 folders for missing programs and copying them in. I never did get
used to the tedit editor and found it very unwieldy, and never did figure
out how to do a search on keywords with it, as I can with the os/2 system
editor.

>>b) This new Warp ide partition is a "vanilla" Warp, with none of the
>>installed programs and customizations I have on my old Warp partition, so
>>I now have the problem of figuring out how to get those things onto the
>>new Warp.
>
> Without specific application names I can't help. I will say that Object
> Desktop has some useful tools for transferring Desktop objects and
> Unimaint has useful tools for copying INI file entries.

Too many to list, including the old IBM Extended Edition database,
MSofficePro, PQmagic, FileWizmanager, Ghostview, some stock market programs,
automobile calculator tools, editors, system tools, a design program, and a
myriad of shareware I've probably long forgotten I installed.

>>If I could solve b) I could run Warp off the scsi drive and let WinXP
>>have a bigger partition on the ide drive. I purposely built this ide
>
> That's probably a good solution if you are going to stay with Warp4.

I need Warp4 to run a database application I wrote for my automobile hobby
using Extended Edition; I would have to learn a new database and a new
language, and then spend a couple of months reprogramming.... don't wanna do
that!!!! On the other hand, I want the advanced capabilities of WinXP to
support the digital camera I intend to get. So I need to have both.

I'm leaning toward running WinXP on the AMD box and Warp on the P2, with the
backup cabability of running Warp also on the AMD. My major hesitation is
that I have a 20-inch IBM P200 display and I've grown so used to it that I
now absolutely hate using my old 15-inch svga, so the entire P2 may become
backup to the AMD.

>>3. On the P2 I have the "www.abcdefg.com not found. Please check the name
>> and try again." problem. This problem was, of course, propogated to the
>>AMD when I first cloned the Warp partition onto the AMD's scsi drive as
>>"scsiWarp".
>
> You maybe try to use a bum DNS server. The DNS server is responsible for
> translating the URLs (ie. www.xyz.com) to IP addresses. Are you dialup or
> Broadband? I need to see:
>
> protocol.ini
> lantran.log
> config.sys
> \mptn\bin\setup.cmd
> \mptn\etc\dhcpcd.cfg
> \mptn\etc\resolv*

I'll email them offline. I am using DSL through a LinkLine 4-port router, to
which the server, AMD, P2, a mod95 PS/2, and the DSL modem are attached. The
mod95 is generally not running, as it needs the peripherals I'm currently
using with the AMD for testing. I will probably buy additional peripherals
in the future.

>>I know all that is confusing... essentially right now I have 2 computers
>>I'm working on:
>
> And you are also working on multiple partition one one of these computers.
> :-)

True.

>>1. A vanilla Warp fp15+ partition on the ide drive but in the wrong
>>place, I want to leave much more room for a future WinXP.
>
> Define wrong place. Do you mean it does not work or you don't like where
> it's placed?

Don't like where it's placed; my understanding is that WinXP wants one big
partition. Since I intend to be storing photos, which take a lot of space, I
want one VERY big WinXP partition, and I understand WinXP must be the first
partition on the drive. Actually, I'd be satisfied with the bootable Warp on
the scsi drive.

There were at least 4 reasons why I built that vanilla Warp4 fp15 partition
on the ide drive:

1. to test the tailored install diskettes I was trying to create.

2. to ensure I could boot and use the ide drive with Warp; prior to this I
had not been able to do so.

3. to simplify the Warp install as much as feasible, by unplugging the scsi
cable, considering all the difficulties I'd been encountering with the
install diskettes, and with booting scsiWarp when the ide drive was powered
on.

4. I wanted a vanilla Warp to find out if the networking problems I was
seeing on the P2 would go away with a re-install. They did.

>>2. A vanilla Warp fp15+ maintenance partition on the scsi drive, which
>>stopped booting once I installed the ide drive. I haven't made a
>>concerted effort to get this partition working again.
>
> We'll leave this one for later, if you don't really need it. I suspect
> the driver letters changed when you install the IDE and this is confusing
> the MP setup. I know how to fix this without a reinstall, but I'm not
> willing to throw more stuff into the pot at the moment.

I think I'm pretty familiar with the way partition letters are set up... it
just gets tricky when partitions are always changing when things do or don't
work with the install diskettes or how a given fdisk interprets the ide
drive, and when you don't know if using PQmagic to hide or unhide a
partition will screw up the ide's mbr or partition codes again.

I HAVE been leaving the cloned scsiWarp until later, but now perhaps is an
ideal time to disconnect the ide drive and work on re-installing networking
on that scsiWarp partition... if I had that, and could build a vanilla
one-pack maintenance partition, I'd be where I want to be... with a Warp
partition on the AMD that finds websites on the first try and has all my own
programs and customizations, and with another Warp partition to boot in an
emergency... I'd then only have to move a few partitions to have an
operational Warp system on the AMD (see drive layouts, below).

>>3. A cloned scsiWarp partition that has all the problems, installed
>>programs, and customizations of the Warp on the P2.
>
> How cloned is it? Does it see that same drive letters as it did when it
> lived on the P2?

Not at the moment (not without hiding partitions with PQmagic), but that is
the goal.

>>A) the AMD to be bootable either from scsiWarp (with all my
>>customizations and installed programs), or from WinXP
>
> You're going to have to disk the drive and locations for all you installed
> OSs. I'm losing it in the narrative.

ide:

C: 4gb ntfs primary (I want this partition to be much larger)
boot manager startable
D: 2gb hpfs logical vanilla Warp4 fp15 (can be deleted later)

(future additions:
E: fat16 logical
F: fat16 logical
G: fat16 logical)

scsi (it was configured before the ide was attached):

boot manager (not currently in use)
placekeepr C: fat16 primary for when I needed to boot Warp1vol or scsiWarp
with ide power unplugged (normally hidden)
E: Warp1vol single-pack vanilla maintenance Warp (normally hidden, can be
moved anywhere Warp will allow it)
F: scsiWarp hpfs logical (my cloned P2 partition; becomes D: when booted)
G: fat16 data (will copy to ide as E:; then becomes H: backup for E:)
H: fat16 data (will copy to ide as F:; then becomes I: backup for F:)
I: fat16 data (will copy to ide as G:; then becomes J: backup for G:)
J: fat16 placekeeper H: when ide not attached (will be deleted later)
K: fat16 placekeeper I: when ide not attached (will be deleted later)
L: fat16 placekeeper J: when ide not attached (will be deleted later)
M: hpfs catchall for downloads and temp files (becomes K: later)

the scsi drive is a bit cramped at present, but there will be room when 3
partitions are moved to the ide drive; also, I expect to be adding a second
scsi drive (the same size) in a few weeks.

So, in final form I hope to have:

ide:
C: 30gb+ WinXP primary ntfs
bootmanager
E: fat16 data logical
F: fat16 data
G: fat16 data

scsi:
unused bootmanager
fat16 hidden placekeeper C:
D: scsiWarp logical
H: backup of E:
I: backup of F:
J: backup of G:
K: hpfs download and temp files
L: Warp1vol hpfs (hidden, or not) maintenance Warp needing only itself and a
C: placekeeper

This last is pretty much what I have on the P2 today, except that C: is
Win95 and the scsi partitions are spread over 3 physical scsi drives with
Warp on the middle drive; there are 2 hidden bootable Warps, one of older
vintage.

>>See my comments above; diskette contents will be attached as files to
>>this email.
>
> These look fine. You did not send a listing of the Installation diskette,
> but I assume it's either virgin or has the FP15 kernel on it. I really
> don't care about diskette #3 since it is your tools diskette.

It hasn't been changed from what "Create Utility Diskettes" produced; all
1996 files with a couple of 1995 files.

>>See above. Apparently 1024 logical cylinders is a very small portion of
>>the 40gb drive.
>
> It's 9GB assuming you are using LBA addressing. I would not call almost
> 25% very small.

Well, fdisk only allowed me a 4gb partition in front of the 2gb Warp
partition I wanted to create... if I moved it any further out, I couldn't
set it installable.

>>Wasn't expected by me, it was a revelation... so how do Warp and WinXP
>>coexist?
>
> OK. Lot's of folks are running that combo, especially if they have bought
> new hardware recently.

But, how are they running it... is the WinXP partition the C: drive then,
and if it's visible to Warp and an ntfs partition, what happens if you
accidentally try to access C:???

Wayne

Return to [ 13 | June | 2003 ]