Return to [ 13 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:45:27 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LinkSys Router (settings)

In <20030613223334.98016.qmail@courtney.linkline.com>, on 06/13/03
at 03:33 PM, waynec@linkline.com said:

>I don't have to, really.... but I say again, I do not claim to be an
>expert on OS/2, never had any formal training on it.

Nor am I and nor have I. I just use the same techniques I use to resolve
problems on any system.

>Apparently I made the mistake of putting the term "www.xxxxxx.com" in my
>email to you (where "xxxxxx" was meant to be a substitute for whatever
>website I was trying to go to) and the email was probably intercepted by
>a spam filter and relegated to your spam file.

No. I understood what you meant. I just don't have any iptrace files
from you. My spam filters are mostly whilelist based so it's extremely
unlikely that any SCOUG-Help mail would go to the spam folder or from you
would go in my spam folder. If find subject based filtering not very
effective in most cases.

>I'll send the trace to you separately, but I suspect that's a futile
>effort and that it would be more productive for me to re-install the
>networking folders.

Thats' up to you.

>through them. So I admit I have done a lot of muddling along, trying to
>make progress or at least make sense of the problems at hand. I've asked

That's fine but you have to realize that for those of us that are not mind
readers there very little chance that we will know the current state of
things unless you tell us.

>"big picture" questions frequently (purposely omitting details at times)
>because I needed to try to see the forest instead of the trees. This
>last issue is an example.

My only comment on this is that when you have specific problems you
probably need specific answers. If you have insufficient information to
provide a specific problem description then a big picture question might
be useful if the response helps you return with a specific problem
description.

>Well, actually we never did get working boot diskettes for my AMD... I

I sorta guessed that. However, I always go by the assumption that if I
get no feedback the problem is fixed, especially when I know there are
other problems waiting to be attended to.

>Let me try again:

>1. I have the problem of building a Warp partition on the AMD that sees
>and understands the WDC 40gb ide drive that I added after cloning my old
>Warp from the P2 to the scsi on the AMD. I had also originally done a
>vanilla install of Warp from diskettes onto a second scsi partition
>before I got the 40gb ide drive, but neither partition was bootable
>after the ide drive was attached.

>Problem 1 is partially solved, in that I was finally able to build a new
>(from scratch) Warp partition on the ide drive from the Warp cdrom, the
>WarpUp cdrom and the tailored install diskettes, except that:

>a) The tailored install diskettes never did work "automagically", I still

No one ever said they would. They just said it would make things easier.
Given my understanding of you AMD box and the drivers you have enabled on
the diskettes, you might have needed to copy the aicu160 driver to the
hard drive and edit config.sys. before. The rest would have gotten
updated when you applied FP15 and DD02. Of course, you didn't say
specifically which files you did copy, so I have no way of knowing if they
really needed to be copied.

>b) This new Warp ide partition is a "vanilla" Warp, with none of the
>installed programs and customizations I have on my old Warp partition, so
>I now have the problem of figuring out how to get those things onto the
>new Warp.

Without specific application names I can't help. I will say that Object
Desktop has some useful tools for transferring Desktop objects and
Unimaint has useful tools for copying INI file entries.

>If I could solve b) I could run Warp off the scsi drive and let WinXP
>have a bigger partition on the ide drive. I purposely built this ide

That's probably a good solution if you are going to stay with Warp4.

>3. On the P2 I have the "www.abcdefg.com not found. Please check the name
> and try again." problem. This problem was, of course, propogated to the
>AMD when I first cloned the Warp partition onto the AMD's scsi drive as
>"scsiWarp".

You maybe try to use a bum DNS server. The DNS server is responsible for
translating the URLs (ie. www.xyz.com) to IP addresses. Are you dialup or
Broadband? I need to see:

protocol.ini
lantran.log
config.sys
\mptn\bin\setup.cmd
\mptn\etc\dhcpcd.cfg
\mptn\etc\resolv*

>I know all that is confusing... essentially right now I have 2 computers
>I'm working on:

And you are also working on multiple partition one one of these computers.
:-)

>1. A vanilla Warp fp15+ partition on the ide drive but in the wrong
>place, I want to leave much more room for a future WinXP.

Define wrong place. Do you mean it does not work or you don't like where
it's placed?

>2. A vanilla Warp fp15+ maintenance partition on the scsi drive, which
>stopped booting once I installed the ide drive. I haven't made a
>concerted effort to get this partition working again.

We'll leave this one for later, if you don't really need it. I suspect
the driver letters changed when you install the IDE and this is confusing
the MP setup. I know how to fix this without a reinstall, but I'm not
willing to throw more stuff into the pot at the moment.

>3. A cloned scsiWarp partition that has all the problems, installed
>programs, and customizations of the Warp on the P2.

How cloned is it? Does it see that same drive letters as it did when it
lived on the P2?

>A) the AMD to be bootable either from scsiWarp (with all my
>customizations and installed programs), or from WinXP

You're going to have to disk the drive and locations for all you installed
OSs. I'm losing it in the narrative.

>See my comments above; diskette contents will be attached as files to
>this email.

These look fine. You did not send a listing of the Installation diskette,
but I assume it's either virgin or has the FP15 kernel on it. I really
don't care about diskette #3 since it is your tools diskette.

>See above. Apparently 1024 logical cylinders is a very small portion of
>the 40gb drive.

It's 9GB assuming you are using LBA addressing. I would not call almost
25% very small.

>Wasn't expected by me, it was a revelation... so how do Warp and WinXP
>coexist?

OK. Lot's of folks are running that combo, especially if they have bought
new hardware recently.

Steven

Return to [ 13 | June | 2003 ]