Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:02:53 GMT
From: waynec@linkline.com
Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Re: Wayne's ide... IMPORTANT

Postscript to my last note:

Complete success!!! I tried booting Warp from scsi and it came up, and fdisk
shows the ide drive as drive 2 with 38162 mb (haven't put a partition on it
as yet). All is well with the world. My heartfelt thanks to all who tried to
assist me!

I still have to work on getting a working set of utility diskettes, though.

Now, some more of my stupid questions:

1. Why does the ide drive show as Disk 2? Will this affect my ability to
install & boot a WinXX from the ide drive, or will bootmanager handle that?

2. How can I correct the problem of having to boot Warp from diskettes after
an abnormal shutdown in order to run chkdsk?

3. Off topic: Anybody want to help tackle the problem I've been having
getting my P2 to connect to my Netware server ( the old "Req0815" message
during bootup)?
It used to connect fine, and I use the same hardware to get to the dsl
modem, so something changed to interfere with that connection.

*

waynec@linkline.com writes:

>> Steve said:
>> The plan is to use Warp's fdisk to do all partitioning, format the FAT
>> and
>> HPFS partition and then bring the SCSI drive on line.
>
> There's where it gets tricky, because more than one partition starts
> affecting my D: scsiWarp boot. Not a serious issue, because I can find a
> way to move my Warp E: F: G:, etc to that drive, as they are on my P2.
>
> If there's a way to get the ide drives to be the second string of drives,
> that might be nice, but that would probably screw up my future ability to
> install & boot WinXX (haven't decided which flavor yet).
>
> Anybody running a system that can boot WinXX care to comment on their
> solution to the drive letters?
>
> But, I can worry about that later. I'll settle for one HPFS partiton on
> the ide drive for the time being, and it doesn't appear there's anything
> to stop me from doing that right now, using the updated install diskettes.
>
> I'd still like to hear more on the approach you mentioned in a prior post
> about how to avoid the problem I've had on the P2, after an abnormal
> shutdown, with the D:\OS2|help\_cache0.db file corruption that requires me
> to run chkdsk from a diskette bootup.

Return to [ 00 | June | 2003 ]